News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Hallmarks

Started by myk1066, December 30, 2011, 07:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Where can I find out about hallmarks on my silver badges?
Thanks
Mike

backman

Lots of books out there but I tend to find this one good enough ; http://www.amazon.co.uk/English-Silver-Hallmarks-Dealer-Guides/dp/0572029993/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325279347&sr=8-1
There are some on line sources but I find these a bit cumbersome to use

A good resolution magnifying glass is also a basic requirement(particularly with my eyesight!)even then I can struggle with some marks.That being said though it really does help to pin down the dates of silver badges.

nursesue

I have a book that I use to check hallmarks but need a decent magnifying glass as I can't always make them out. I try to avoid cleaning over the hallmarks so that I don't damage them

myk1066

Sarah Rogers

Hi, AA BIT ON THE SAME THEME... and yes that book is very good a much needed christmas present!.
When recording the hallmarks a few days ago we cam acrooss ome badge which was inscribed with a name and years , which were 20years before the ahllmark?... i assume? correctly that this was a replacement badge? thanks Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk