News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Nightingale badge

Started by myk1066, January 22, 2014, 09:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Have you seen the price of the Nightingale badge £1396.99.  Listed as:
Rare Obsolete Nightingale School of Nursing St Thomas Hospital London Nurses Pin
The item number is 221347218952

Magpie

myk1066

I know.  I've tried to contact the seller to find out what is inscribed to the reverse but it won't allow me to contact the seller!

Magpie

I can't find it ! Is it on normal site?

backman

and here I am finding guilty for paying £200+ for a badge! Silly money but it will be interesting to see if anyone buys it. I still hope to pick up an enrolled nurse version one day though.

wilfb

Hi.

I can't find it - anyone have a link?

Will.

backman

Magpie

I wonder why he has covered up the name of the nurse on the back of the badge? I see also that he will not post outside USA so no good all of us pooling our cash and buying it between us!

barrysutton

Buying in the U.S.A. isn't a problem however I can think of better ways to spend my hard earned cash, and to think I only paid £3.50 for mine without a box though.

backman

We seem to be having a lot of supposition on the site recently.Very simply as both a buyer and a seller I can see both sides of the argument.The reality as often said before is that vendors can list their wares at whatever price they feel it is worth or what they may have paid for it.Whether or not they realise that price or not is down to the buyer,which in many cases is us.The final price paid is down to a mixture of scarcity,individual associations & provenance,intrinsic worth and sheer bloody mindedness and amount of disposable income of the buyers.As the recent batch of London badges has shown us this is subject to sudden change.
We don't know in this case if it is being sold on behalf of the original recipient who may well be more in need of the money than the badge? They may not want their name known to colleagues? we just don't know.Bearing in mind that one Nightingale badge sold for £1500 on ebay a few years ago,this may not seem such a daft price? Only time will tell but whilst it becomes easy to focus just on the acquisition of such trinkets let's try and remember and celebrate the history of the original nurses who earn these badges?

myk1066

No Sue, you haven't caused me any offence, fleece will always be fleece to me, I find it amusing.  It's intriguing & we all love a mystery, anyone would be curious as to why you couldn't contact a seller, I often do in cases like this, & why an inscription on a badge would be covered up.  The idea of the site is to encourage discussion & the posting certainly has.  You removing it means someone will be unable to treasure it.
Mike

backman

I believe Mike that the offence in this case was to the vendor,the inference being that they were in some way,less than honest? As is clear from their final posting on the listing they too must be a member of this forum to be able to have read those comments here and I respect their decision to withdraw the badge..Can all members please remind themselves of the acceptable behaviour in their listings.We currently have a light touch moderation and I would not like to see that change.
As far as ebay is concerned,it's a bit like Tesco. You may prefer the concept of the independent store but they are frequently the biggest and only place to acquire the goods we seek.Very simply if we don't like their ethos then we shop elsewhere.I would say some 90%+ of my collection have been got through ebay. As far as fleece is concerned if I think an item is too expensive I don't buy it.Often the final price is down to purely the number and determination of us the bidders.I believe that it all comes down to the laws of supply and demand.

I feel that whilst we are here to promote debate and raise interest and knowledge in the subject of Schools of Nursing,not just badges. So how about a few postings on your different schools of nursing,hospitals,uniforms,etc. Let us show our collective knowledge to add to the appreciation of Nursing as we knew it?

Nuff said?

backman

Fleece;5. to deprive of money or belongings by fraud or hoax; swindle.     Whatever we might think of Ebay I don't think that we can accuse it of swindling us? Extracting money,Yes.Swindling,No?

Magpie

Of course you're right, EBay offers things, some of which we really,really want(!!) but it is our choice whether or not we pay the price and it is a sellers market.
With reference to your post saying that the seller may be in need of the money I remember going in to an antique shop in Bournemouth and seeing a lovely little gold RAMC badge and as my husband had been a Dr in the RAMC when we were first married I bought it. The shop owner then told me about this little, very elderly man who had come in with it, some other bits and jewellery which he needed to sell for his wife's care. I always wear it with pride in memory of him and my husband to all of the SSAFA events I have to attend.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk