News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Military Nursing Insignia

Started by barrysutton, April 03, 2012, 03:08:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

Does anyone know if there was a Netley S.E.M.N. badge, if there is an R.A.F. nurses belt buckle and does the R.N. S.O.N. S.E.N. badge exist without the woring on the outer rim (like the S.R.N.) one thats recently come to light.
Any assistance greatly appreciated.

wilfb

Hi Barry.

I don't know about the Netly or RAF nurses buckle.  I have a photograph of the Naval SRN without the wording, but don't know yet why that is or if there was an SEN version.

Will.
Ps. Please check your mailbox for me...

myk1066

Barry
When you say Netley SENM badge do you mean the oval shaped one, blue enamel border with the hospital on it?  If so then there is one with a green border.
Myk1066

barrysutton

I have the blue enamel border one for R.M.N's its whether there is a green rimmed one for S.E.M.N's

backman

Is this the oval badge showing the chapel tower at Netley but with the wording Royal Victoria Hospital Netley around the edge rather than the later Army School of Psychiatry wording? I have only ever seen the one that you had Barry,never seen a green version.

barrysutton

Yes it would be the one with Netly on it !

Also someone recently put an example of the R.N. S.O.N. Enrolled Nurses badge on the badge site and said that they thought it might be a modern copy, as far as I'm aware there haven't been any copies of any of the M.O.D. medical qualification badges, the most likely explanation would be that like the Army medical qualification badges when the majority of the Military Hospitals closed most of there spare badges where sent to the RAMC/QARANC museum at Keogh Barracks, Ash Vale and as there were quite a lot of them they where sold off to raise funds for the museum, I'm sure that in the navies case this also occured.

backman

Thanks Barry,
I would agree that the selling on of surplus defunct armed forces badges and insignia to recognised dealers is the most likely scenario.The construction of these,whilst looking quite cheap,matches that of earlier original badges I have seen.

myk1066

Hi Barry
Is it possible to see the bage you have with Netley wording?
Thanks
Myk1066

nursesue

Barry it was me that put the RN Navy badge on - it just doesn't "feel" right - its too new on the back The rear is very different to the SRN version - but i still like like it There is a nice navy one on sally bosley's site - a real, but expensive, tempter!!

myk1066

Hi Sue
You got my reply the other day?  The RN badge you mention, is it the Queen Mary's Royal Naval one she listed today?
Myk1066

nursesue

yes thats sally's badge There is a very nice Wolverhampton just gone with SEN GNC badge belonging  to sisters thats just gone on eaby Will post your chelmsford and swap after weekend with anything else that you win
sue

myk1066

Cheers for that Sue.
I have the same RN hospital badge in my collection.

http://myk1066.multiply.com/photos/album/1/Hospital_Nursing_Badges#photo=164

I've emailed seller of the 2 sisters badges to find out what happened to their respective badges & to see if they knew the 2 sisters.  They would make an interesting set to have in a collection.
Myk1066

backman

Thanks Barry for adding the Netley and Portsmouth badges to the galleries,three suberb badges. I used to visit Victoria Country Park when I lived in Southampton and often wandered around the chapel and the cemetary,both of which gave an insight into the size and scope of the hospital when it was in use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk