News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

technical question re computer error messages

Started by nursesue, January 10, 2009, 11:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

hi - can any of the more computer geniuses  tell me what an error 500 - internal server error message means???
I have tried to up load some more photos to this site - the photo uploads and then i click continue and keep on getting this message. I can't find out what it means or how to correct it. I even tried the works computer ( naughty i know!!!LOL) and the same thing happens. I have no probs uploading elsewhere such as multiply or ebay - please help if you can
thanks sue ??? ::)

backman

Hi Sue ,
As this is the error coding I always seem to get I believe it may relate to you exceding your storage space? I know that until I figure out the technique to reduce picture size I'm having to just add to Multipy while I can.I'm sure Wilf will advise.

wilfb

Hi,

And serious apologies. I am off-line right now because of serious weather. Can you tell me which galleries Sue - you don't seem to have created a personal gallery (unless you have kept it private) and you are seeking a gold medal (don't stop) in contributing to the National Galleries....

I have no messages re waiting uploads. Bear with me whilst I check space - that is vast and I have no error messages.

Peter, I thought we had resolved. Hang in just a little - our weather should clear by morning (maybe late morning).

Will.

nursesue

hi  -  i thought if i cleared some space i maybe able to upload but no success. I just upload to the national galleries so that everyone can enjoy the pics...
bad weather and Greece  ??? ::) ;D
Weather here in Scotland is awful - and its finding one minute followed by scraping the ice off the car the next. Oh roll on summer - thats warm rain in this aprt of the world LOL
sue x

wilfb

Hello Sue,

Your upload to the national galleries went Ok. But I still cannot see your own gallery. Is it set to private?

Will.

nursesue

hi - Wilf private galleries emptied as i thought this was the problem. Its still hit and miss re uploading but i will persevere
sue x

wilfb

Hi Sue,

I forgot to ask on the public board. Are your own gallery uploads Ok now. I believe that those to the 'national' galleries certainly are - thanks for all the contributions.

Just in case anyone is wondering - uploaded photographs should not exceed 650px an the longest side. Such photo's will in any case fill most monitors nicely when viewed at max size in the galleries.  It also facilitates other functions such as sending postcards and viewing photo's as slide shows.

Very Best.
Will.

Sarah Rogers

hi, i have been having similar problems to sues..it says that it is fiull... i dont think that i have exceeded the pixel size... i have been scnning them at  i thought 300 pixels... any advice gratefully recieved , thanks Lizzie

Sarah Rogers

Hi, i have tried to upload some more photos, but the little blue circle just circles for ages and ages..and then doesnt upload, a while ago  it just said that it was full, is that because the pixel content is too big? ..if so what do i do/
thanks Lizzie

wilfb

Hi.

I think that Sue may have overcome her problem. But there does seem to be one.  I will examine the size limits but don't think that is causing any of the difficulties as it really is vast. It will help me considerably if anyone experiencing these difficulties can identify whch programs they are using eg. Internet explorer or other, and where they are attempting to upload the pictures to eg: English Nursing badges; Scottish nursing badges - et al.

I will also print the steps to an upload so that we all know that if we follow them and it doesn't work then it has to be me!

Please note that, as always, I am taking all comments in total seriousness and will seek to resove any problems quickly.

Very Best.
Will.

nursesue

yes problem solved but solution complicated!! Windows 7 ( which is rubbish give me XP anyday) hates my camera. Have to take pics with one camera upload to computer then use another programme to reduce photos to upload to this site ( told ya complicated) However its much easier if you reduce pixels and load 1 photo at a time rather than a batch - well it works for me!!!!

Sarah Rogers

Hi, thanks Sue, and yes i think i do need a step by step guide Will...thanks, i did try just one and it just sat there with the little lue thing goign aroun.... we use windows 7.... I asked my hubby......., i have just tried them in the past to upload them to my file....... not a particular badge set...thanks for help, will try again tomorrow..photos on laptop , hubbys camera takes better photos than mine!...Lizzie

Sarah Rogers

hi, my son has just helped me realise that my pics are too many pixels.....3000x4000!!!..so will have to try and downsize them...urghhh!
Lizzie

wilfb

Hi Lizzie.

Bingo!! Your resizing did the trick!  Thanks for the effort, it is much appreciated.

I will examine the gallery coding to seek out (if possible) an auto-resize/upload system on the lines of 'Flicker' - but I am not sure how long I will be - it could take a while and call for a major re-work of the site - which appears to function perfectly as long as size constraints are observed.  This is not unusual - modern cameras tend to produce modern (Large) results if left at default settings - which in itself is not a bad idea. But uploading the subsequent (large) resulting photographs can be affected - have a look at this:-

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1567431@N22/discuss/72157631088613874/

...but don't be distracted by the discussion.  Whilst there is special photo-editing software available - some of it free - to handle aspects such as re-sizing for upload purposes, a very simple way with most email programs is simply to send the photograh/s to yourself.  It will be down-sized enroute!

Win7 for eg has options when you click send for you to select one of 5 size options - pick 640x480.  In the attached example I downsized  a 2554x2554 pix image from 2.54Mb - to 65Kb. Automatcally. In seconds. Log in to see the result. Click on the image to enlarge/shrink.

*The email option will only address modifying the image size/weight - it will not help with other aspects such as cropping and sharpening.

nursesue

if they're the phtos gone on - weel worth the effort Some nice stunners there

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk