News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

where is everyone?

Started by nursesue, September 07, 2008, 02:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I will do my best to provide feedback and hope to plug both this site and the Nursingbadges if possible.Shame that we all live so far apart from each other for get togethers!

whittington85

Hi Sue,

No offence taken whatsoever. I have just done 2 overtime shifts (friday and saturday nights) in EMD triage (I normally work in GP consultation), believe me, I have a thick skin.
I, in turn, would like to apologise if by my lighthearted response you felt I was 'dissing' you (new word learnt form some very young staff nurses).
It was provoked, in part, by present colleagues who see no need for further education, and in part to provoke a bit of a debate.
I have not worked in the UK for some time, and found your comment on SEN's interesting. I remember that the training was going to be phased out (I think it was called program 2000).
Here in Aus they are still turning out SEN's in the TAFE colledges (technical schools), although I don't think there are many in acute areas (eg none in EMD), however my wife tells me there are plenty in aged care. SRN/RMN hospital training has long gone, replaced by Uni degrees, so hospital cert nurses are becoming scarcer. Incidently, the Howard Govt wanted to recommence hospital based training, universally opposed by nursing professional bodies, unions, academics and the rank and file. Strongly supported by the AMA (medical assoc) though, ah! the old enemy!!
I look forward to continuing our interesting and frank exchange of views.
Kind Regards,
Whittington85

backman

I was fortunate enough to get to the RCN History of Nursing Seminar last week which touched upon a number of these issues in relation to Nurse Training/Education and learning from History.I will attempt to do a potted ramble through some of the main points in a separate thread.

nursesue

just thought you'd like to know this debate has also surfaced on the http://www.practicenursing.co.uk site.  A hot topic there as well!!!!  and yes have made my comment.... well i couldn't resist LOL ;)
Sue x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk