News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Photo galleries

Started by myk1066, March 28, 2014, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Are the galleries on here a true reflection of actual badges on the site?  I ask because I have traded with fellow collectors, I now own the badge, photograph it & display it, however the original owner still displays the badge.  Don't get me wrong I'm not criticising just wondering & stimulating debate.
Mike

backman

Sorry Mike,I'm not sure that I understand the question? Will,as creator of the site,may be a better person to state what the purpose of the Galleries is.I believe that they are there to allow Members to add their photographs of items to share with others,nothing more. Together the albums give an idea of the range and variety of badges and other items which reflect the Schools of Nursing that existed? I don't believe that there has ever been an intention for it to reflect a who has what checklist.Even then many members will have the same version of badge so there could be multiple photographs of the same badge on the albums.Personally I don't bother to rephotograph a badge and add it here if a good example already exists,although I may add it to my Flickr pages.What do others think?

nursesue

I was under the impression that the photo galleries was to record nursing badges for future reference I maybe guilty of uploading a photo thats already on but that's either enthusiasm or menopausal memory loss  ie finding whats already on!! I like the galleries it helps me identify badges , admire other peoples collections and also helps me in deciding which badges I still need to get/want. I tend to photo all my badges and keep a personal record for my use and then just upload here to add to the gallery for prosperity. I can't always tell who has what unless there name or ID is mentioned. Please keep the gallerys cos i just love the myriad of badges shown on here. I do find that badges appear on other sites without permission or acknowledgment of the owner and I find that more irritating.

wilfb

Hi.

A vast question myke - and an easy answer for a start. The badges are a true reflection of the badges uploaded.

It is possible for a registered member to upload any badge image  - even ones that they do not own (!) - but I don't believe we have detected any of those.

Duplicates are not a problem, only duplicates of the same image are not encouraged unless there is a special reason.

The overall intention is duplicate.

Firstly to provide web space for members to store their own badges, and secondly to create a 'National Gallery' (or galleries) where members can share their badge photograph collections (or not - personal choice). I believe that between us we have created a fairly large collection of badges - perhaps the largest display currently available in the UK. Perhaps the largest display.

Or the other way around.

I am personally sincerely grateful for the enthusiasm of all members who have contributed - every badge is an invaluable record of a part of our nursing history. Being a database the 'National' badge display is fully searchable - a very useful tool for research/researchers. And the individual badge photographs have several links built in, including the ability to identify individual members submitting (uploading).  I like the option to email a photograph personally.

There are many options perhaps best simply tried-out on-site, (including several that I have not mentioned) - but perhaps the most contentious is that of restricting viewing of the galleries to registered members. We have literally hundreds of spammers who seek access to the site on a daily basis. Most are 'innocent' spammers wanting only to advertise their wares for free. We are not prepared to do this. And we are working on a solution by providing open access without registration to viewing. We will not be able to provide upload facilities to non members.

I hope that contributes just a little to the discussion myk - one of the problems of getting the very best from the site is finding the time to design and develop improved user facilities. Although you may be aware that some parts of the site (eg, forum/photo galleries use templates - these do have to be heavily modified to provide the functionality which makes all what it is. Without the galleries it would be mich, much, less. Many thanks.

Will.
Ps. I just love members who enjoy the site - please don't change anything you do!!   

eric

I also love looking at badges from various regions and have uploaded all of the Irish (north and South) badges in my collection, in addition to a few that I do not have (although I have always asked badge owner for their permission to do so). This was so to try and build up a record of the badges that are 'out there' and as visual record of those I still require to add to 'my' collection. I have a "Wanted" picture folder on my laptop to remind me. Looking at all other regions I rarely look at who submitted as my attention is drawn to the badge.
Edelweiss was working on a CD which one could utilise to catalogue and describe each badge but am unsure if this ever materialised or made available for members. I would love to see ALL badges put on a CD identified by county throughout the UK, including postcards, buttons, uniforms etc so as to view anytime. I love Jennifer MacLaughlin book on nursing badges and while no other volumes are likely to appear in near future this site offers the next best thing in offering a fantastic visual record of badges / memorabilia.
Keep up great work and thanks to moderators (Wilf and Peter) for their expertise in running this site.
Eric

barrysutton

The majority of the badges with my handle on are in my collection, however I have traded a few to improve the specalist areas I'm particularly collecting, also some of the badges that I've submited for the SON site where from a collection I sold a few years ago for a fellow deceased collectors widow and she gave permission for me to share the photographic images witth like mined people.

wilfb

Hi.

No problem with any of that. To answer myk's original question about more than one person displaying a badge (anywhere) - it is quite possible. As long as permission has been given by the copyright holder - who is the party who took the photograph originally (as long as they have not sold the copyright) or it is time expired. Usually around 50 years. Re-photographing an original badgeone owned would create a second copyright example, but the first would still stand.

Hence two people (or more) could own a copyright image of the same badge!  But the holder of each original is the only person (or organization) who can grant permission to use each original image.

No problem - only once have I come across an individual who would not give permission. He felt his photographs not good enough...

But we need to remember to show the name of the copyright holder and acknowledge them as the source. It is a simple matter. I always send a link to the image if I have used someone else's to show that I have kept my part of the bargain.

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk