News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Should I?

Started by Endoscopy, January 03, 2011, 09:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endoscopy

Hi Everone, I just joined the forum after doing some resarch about a GNC State badge, bought for me by my daughter for Christmas.

It's a 1926 issue Silver SRN badge which I'm absolutely thrilled with.

I trained as an SEN from 1975 to 1977, and I was awarded my Bronze 'state badge' on my registration in 1977. I wore it with great pride until uniforms were replaced with 'scrubs' urgh. Nobody wears badges with scrubs.

Eventually I did my conversion course and qualified as a Registered Nurse in 1996, and have recently made it to Sister after all these years. Although I still wear scrubs, I fully intend to wear my Sisters uniform for meetings and such like. My question is..................would it be appropriate for me to wear the 1926 SRN State Badge? Am I entitled to wear it?

Dawn R.
Nurses are born not made.

backman

Hi Dawn and welcome.
In response to your question,my own opinion is a bit complex.
Whist you are certainly a RGN finding your conversion,you were not ever a SRN as you didn't convert before 1983 when the UKCC came into being.Technically therefore you were not entitled to wear the GNC SRN badge and that organisation could have taken action against you for doing so( I'm unsure if they did this later in their lifespan but certainly did in their earlier years) However as these bodies have long gone I don't believe the NMC has any strong opinion on the current wearing of badges.I think it highly unlikely that you would be reported for doing so.You are certainly not trying to pass yourself as something that you are not,a registered nurse so no real problem there.The other option is of course to have your own SEN badge engraved to the rear with your conversion dates and be proud of wearing that.
Whatever you decide to wear I'm sure it will show your commitment to Nursing and be well regarded by  others.Congratulations on the promotion!

Endoscopy

Thanks backman, for taking the time to reply. I hadn't thought of the potential 'action' that could be taken against me, so I must consider that of course. However I think you are right, nurses in general don't appear to have the finding about symbols (badges) that we used to, so my occasionally wearing a badge would probably not provoke comment or incident either way.

Thanks for your thoughts they are very useful and while I still haven't made a decision, I  think I'll see how I feel when the time comes for the first opportunity.

Regards, Dawn R.

backman

If it helps I too rarely wear a uniform nowadays being based in Education but due to the recent winter pressures ended up on the wards again over the New Year period.I did wear a GNC badge but not my own as it is too precious to loose and certainly not my hospital badge(even with safety chain etc they have been known to come adrift).I don't think many staff or patients even noticed my badge but it did give me a little sense of pride to recall what it took to earn them.

Endoscopy

Isn't it a shame, really a shame, that Student Nurses these days dont understand this pride in the uniform thing that we had years ago. I still think that if ''we'' looked like Nurses ''we'' would have a better chance of behaving like Nurses. Scrubs do nothing to promote a professional image, I hate scrubs with a passion.

I always find this comes into sharp focus when I go on an aeroplane, the cabin crew always look so smart and professional, and they would be severly diciplined if they abused the uniform by wearing it incorrectly. Then I go back to work and have to wear scrubs............I could weep. I can't wait for my first meeting when I can wear my coveted Sisters uniform with love and pride. I'm buzzing just thinking about it. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Dawn R.

barrysutton

Scrubs are a lot better these days than they used to be and one can at least wear colourful hats and clogs, even the masks these days aren't all plain.
Wishing you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year for 2011,
ODPBarry

jock57

hello,
enjoy your badge although I do not wear the badges I collect, I wear my own( on occasion )as I have a habit of putting them in the wash and have chipped one a bit!
I wear uniform every day although not with belts/buckles now. I think you can get away with wearing different buckles but not other peoples badges, although I qualified in 1983 as RMN I never got state badge and only hospital badge which I still treasure.
I got 3 badges from my earlier training in Scotland which I do not wear just in case I lose them. and feel proud to wear your Sister uniform it is a great achievment in you career.

jock57

hello again,
got mixed up with my dates, qualified in 86 thats why I never got a badge. (whoops)

wilfb

Well,

Dawn R certainly started a discussion. Congratulations on your sister appointment Dawn - you have obviously worked hard for it. I am not sure if you have attended that first Sister's meeting yet, but perhaps my own comments may still have some value...

Firstly, the high value placed on the GNC Registration badge is obvious - it certainly represents considerable effort and emotional uncertainty at times to make the grade. For that reason alone these badges are treasures and your wish to wear the one of which you are custodian is commendable. But my advice would be no, you should not do it...  Your uniform would not be correct if embellished with non-approved items and however much I share your feelings, I think that you would be out of order.

But you provoked Barry to bring up the question of decorative scrubs - I am personally from the 'Greens' generation, long retired, and would have welcomed some of the modern versions - anything to lighten the load - but do people these days really wear the Micky Mouse scrubs seen on some of the American TV shows. Nice for children - but then my wife insists that I never grew up so maybe they may be a good thing! Jock57 is really lucky to have qualified too late to get a badge - makes her that much younger!! With respect Jock57.

I really enjoyed 'backman's reflections - I too look back with some pride at having earned mine, which, like some others, I wore only when I had to for fear of loss...

Have you read our article on GNC badges Dawn - http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/GNCEWBadges.htm

Or the forum topic started by Barry Sutton - well worth a read.

Finally, don't wear that badge Dawn, treasure it, you know something about the costs - keep it safe - you would never forgive yourself if you lost it....

Will B.

Endoscopy

OK I've made a decision. I've taken on board your opinions, which is why I asked the question. I wanted to know what passers by in the corridor might think if they knew.....which most would not, that the badge wasn't mine.

I'm proud to be a nurse I'm proud of my 35 year nursing career to date, and very committed to my work.

I will wear the badge on the inside of my collar, nobody will be able to see it, but I will know it's there, a symbol of my finding for nursing. I will wear my SEN State badge on the outside and be proud of it. Thanks to those who gave their thoughts, I appreiciate it.

Wilfb, I read the article you gave a link for and was facinated, thanks, I'm going to have a bit more root around the site over time, I'm hooked.

PS The first meeting is a week today the 19th.

Dawn R.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk