News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

More pieces of the jigsaw

Started by backman, October 05, 2011, 10:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

In our collective attempts to identify the history of nursing,I've got to share my latest success!! I have just taken delivery of a book(an early birthday present),namely The Register of Nurses maintained by the General Nursing Council for Scotland,containing the Names,Qualifications,and Addresses of Nurses 1938.

It lists in alphabetical order each nurse for the six separate registers namely A)General Nurses B)Male Nurses(General Trained)C)Mental NursesD)Sick Childrens NursesE)Fever Nurses and F)Nurses for Mental Defectives
I am still browsing through it but have managed to find Registered Nurse A1,namely Christina MacCallum whose address was Renfrew District Asylum,Dykebar,Paisley   Date of Registration 2/9/21 Qualifications Western Infirmary,Glasgow,E.N.(Existing Nurse) -/10/02
she also appears on part C Reg No 3001 (the first on that register too)date of registration 4/11/21 M.P.A.Certificate E.N.20/05/05

She might thus be the holder of the two different Scottish badges as well as the MPA badge and just to add to that a Christina MacCallum was listed as being awarded the Royal Red Cross 2nd class in 1917.

How about that as a grouping to look out for?

backman

Part 2 of my pieces of the Jigsaw,I've finally managed to get a copy of "The Register of Nurses" being the Names,Qualifications and Addresses of Nurses registered under the Nurses Registration Act 1919.Unfortunately it is only the 1950 Supplement rather than one of the earlier whole volumes.Still,for those researching nurses who registered in 1949 it is a gem.If you have a name it lists the Registration number address,date and place of registration and qualifications for that individual.
I am still looking for a nice full version if anyone has one kicking around,the 1928 volume for instance which originally cost 1 pound and 1 shilling; http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/rcn_archives/historical_nursing_journals/search_journals?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZyY25hcmNoaXZlLnJjbi5vcmcudWslMkZkYXRhJTJGVk9MVU1FMDc2LTE5MjglMkZwYWdlMTUyLXZvbHVtZTc2LWp1bmUxOTI4LnBkZiZhbGw9MQ%3D%3D

wilfb

Looks like you are on a 'roll' peter, don't stop now....

backman

Sorry only just got the pun!

Dissappointing day at a large postcard fair in Norwich on Saturday,only picked up 3 nursing images cards although I did also acquired two exam papers for the Tuberculosis Association from 1943.I did put out some nursing badges wanted flyers to the different dealers so fingers crossed they might root out something but generally things are fairly quiet again? Anyone else finding anything?

nursesue

have just been looking at the TB exam papers and am wondering if anyone else is trying to work out the answers?? or am i procrastinating as I have an assignment to do on a patient with heart failure for my current course "perspectives in cardiac care" The things we do do to keep updated to satisfy the NMC !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk