News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

London Hospital Badge

Started by myk1066, August 17, 2013, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Is that your picture I've just seen on facebook of a QA nurse in tropical uniform?

backman

myk1066

It's stunning, hope you get more info on it.

wilfb

Do you have a link Peter. I don't have Facebook (last of the Mohicans!)....

Will.

backman

wilfb

Hi Peter.

Thank-you kind sir!  One serious lady....

Will.

myk1066

Digger Lee has a LH with other items £500 or best offer.

backman

Wrongly described as being the rare First type when it clearly has no perforations to the back so the standard later edition.A tad expensive I would say even with the victory medal but who knows?

myk1066

Did the London ever issue a prize medal & was it ever part of the LCC Hospitals, & therefore ever a LCC badge?

backman

Not that I'm aware of but perhaps Sarah can advise ? As a Voluntary Hospital it was not one of the LCC hospitals and therefore did not issue any of those badges.

myk1066

Thanks for that, Sarah, any clues?

johnny4v

THE LONDON HOSPITAL was founded in 1740 as a Voluntary Hospital. It was never controlled by the London County Council and never issued a badge like those issued by LCC controlled hospitals. The  London Hospital had the first medical school founded in 1985. The London Hospital received royal assent to it new title - THE ROYAL LONDON HOSPITAL in 1990. Being one of 12 teaching hospitals in London it had its own Board Of Governors who managed the hospital up until 1974. The London Hospital badge was instituted in 1931 as a nurses league badge and from 1943 it was awarded to all nurses who completed their training and passed final state examinations. The Hospital Badge has never altered in style but was reduced in size by Miss Littleboy to save on the cost of making it.  Hope this helps.

myk1066

Thanks again for the info.  Did the London ever issue a prize medal?

Sarah Rogers

I thought that this had been asked here before... not that I am aware, examination prizes were awarded in the Eva Luckes's time, from 1880 onwards. There is reference to them in the probationers/sisters & nurses records which I am working on, but not what was received..
Sorry for the delay in replying- my graduation 10 days ago and younger son's yesterday!
Sarah

myk1066

I see Diggerlee has now split the LH and medals now but still kept the price!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk