News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Firs Hospital, Nottingham (UK)

Started by ExJoyceGreen, September 23, 2013, 07:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExJoyceGreen

Because nothing seemed to exist - in print - relating to this former maternity hospital in Sherwood, Nottingham NG5, I have just completed a short history of its 'career' (1928-1982). It began its life as a charitable maternity home; became an NHS hospital in 1948; became part of City Hospital, Nottingham and is now a retirement complex. The book will be available from early-mid October 2013 and any funds raised will go directly to two charitable endeavours associated with the local Methodist Church. I will of course be happy to exchange e-mail messages relating to the book and/or to the finding efforts with Forum members and guests. Thank you for making time to read this. David J. Hallam-Jones.

backman

Thanks David,I look forward to getting a copy,will it be available on amazon?

ExJoyceGreen

Hello there,

The short answer is, that I haven't thought that far ahead yet. Plan A was (well, is) to make it available through the Sherwood Methodist Church address (see the attachment with my original posting) at a lower price than the £6.00 per copy (+ p&p) price that I propose to charge after 31 Dec 2013. This is in order to give local people (but others too) an opportunity to buy a copy and to help this particular church with its finding.

If booksellers begin stocking (and selling it) I assume that they would want to buy larger quantities at trade prices; something that would reduce the profits that this local church might otherwise make for its two projects. Thus, I don't think that I'd be in quite so much of a hurry to sell to booksellers initially.

Suggest therefore that you might wish to order a copy via the Sherwood Methodist Church route although I am open to your thoughts?

David.

ExJoyceGreen

Update on the availability of this book.

Unfortunately the first 'draft proof copy' was produced in an almost illegible font size and so the printers are currently working on increasing the book to A4 size, with an associated increase in font size.

Copies are now expected to be ready for distribution to those individuals and organisations who have ordered them during w/c 25 November 2013, at the unaltered price of £5.00 per copy (or £6 each from 1 Jan 2014) + £1.50 p & p.

New and/or further orders are still being handled through FIRS BOOK ORDERS SECTION, Sherwood Methodist Church, Devon Drive, Nottingham, NG5 2EN. (Please don't forget to to enclose your name and address and to make your cheque payable to Sherwood Methodist Church).

Apologies for the delay but hopefully you'll find that it has been worth waiting for?   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk