News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Most popular badge

Started by myk1066, September 29, 2014, 08:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Not including state registration or union badges, what would be considered the most popular nurses/hospital badge to come up for sale & which nurses/hospital badge is the one most commonly posted in the galleries?

backman

As my Tutor often said to me "Read the question before answering!"

If you really mean most popular,are you meaning with the seller or with the buyer?If so it could be one particular special badge that the buyer has been looking for for ages or one which fetches far in excess of what the seller anticipates.Both of those things would rate highly in the popularity stakes.
If however you mean popularly sought then it would probably be the Nightingale School of Nursing as I can probably sell any of these several times over,depending upon condition and price.This is probably a combination of the sheer number of Nightingale nurses trained and the number looking to replace lost items as well as the aesthetic appeal and collectability of this particular badge.Similarly the larger the training school the more the number of nurses awarded their badge,the more likely that more such nurses will look to replace lost items.Thus the London Hospital,Glasgow Royal and Edinburgh Royal infirmary are always popular.Prices vary so considerably because unlike collectors who regularly scan the auction sites for badges,most nurses looking to replace items just dip in and out in their search for a specific badge. I currently have a Wish list of over 20 items for replacement badges that nurses have contacted me about.If I am able to find and provide one of these that makes it very popular indeed!
As far as the badge most commonly posted on the galleries I dare say Wilf will be able to tell us when he is back from attending George Clooney's wedding? I suspect once again the Nightingale?

myk1066

I know some badges pop up frequently such as the Glasgow & the London Hospital, some commanding high prices as we all know.  I've just done a quick search in the galleries & typed in Nightingale then The London Hospital which produced approx 11 badges for both.

nursesue

I would say that the Wirrel badges -there always seem to be a lot of those along with the Carshalton and possibly the Broadgreen finding the influx of these that were sold a few years ago Agreed London, tommies and ERI I think the reasons for the ERI is that its a nice badge and prone to damage and we're always looking for a perfect specimen
Wilf would it be possible to publish the wish list of replacement badges so that we can member can help in your quest?

myk1066

Over the years there are those that come up time & time again, like Glasgow, Edinburgh, Tommies & London to name a few.  I remember the Broadgreen, I have a couple of them hidden in the wardrobe somewhere.  The recent spate of the London RN & EN versions caused a stir & added to their popularity & numbers.  Re SoN site, what is the most frequently posted badge excluding GNC & union badges.  I agree that a list of badges needing replacing is a great idea.

myk1066

Some other frequent flyers that come up for auction are the Dundee medal & the Plaistow medal.

barrysutton

The Princess Christians Army Nursing Service Reserve breast badge seems to be fairly popular as there are a definitive number of them.

myk1066

Yes they do come up occasionally but as you state in lesser numbers, I've just counted 5 in the galleries. The St Pancras South just went for a tidy sum!  One of our collectors perhaps?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk