News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

An oral history of MH Nursing

Started by backman, February 07, 2011, 06:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I have taken the liberty of posting this whole message from the RCN web pages if anyone can help?

An oral history of MH nursing
by John Adams on Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Nursing practice in mental health care (1945 – 1995): an oral history

I am currently undertaking an oral history study of nursing practice in mental health care during the second half of the twentieth century, building upon my previous study of Fulbourn Hospital [available at: http://oro.open.ac.uk/22137 ]. This was a period of dramatic change, encompassing the eclectic, social, biological and medical models of psychiatry, and set against the background of the closure of the vast asylums. So if you worked in this field in the UK or Ireland, and would be prepared to record an interview (in person or by phone), please get in touch and I will gladly supply more information.

John Adams RN PhD
Email: Frosses02@btinternet.com

jonathangreen

Hello,I don't know if i can be of any help to you.I trained in Portsmouth,firstly as an RGN and then as  RMN.Shortly after qualifying as an RMN in 1992,I came to New Zealand where I have worked ever since.Initially I worked at a place called Porirua hospital which was in the process of being shut and for the last 16 yrs or so i have been a CPN.For my thesis for my MA (which I did not complete) i undertook an oral history study of former residents of Porirua Hospital.The study aimed to record the histories of those who had spent 20yrs or more in the institution.i still have the transcripts somewhere.I wasn't particularly interested in the staff history,this had been documented elsewhere and the National Archive has a great oral history section with lots of nursing stuff in it.
  Should you wish to contact me please drop me a line.The most interesting thing nursing wise was coming from what I felt was a very progressive training and service into a very grim institution.The progress that was made in New Zealand in relatively short space of time was quite amazing.Like all good psych nurses I am full of stories.I will be back in Englang in July of this year for a month.
   Good luck to you in this worthy project and area of study.
           regards Jonathan Green (RGN RMN) Cpn Kapiti CMHT,Capital and Coast Health DHB ,New Zealand

wilfb

Hello Johnathan.

Thanks for that - I have ensured that John Adams will be aware of your post - although you may have already done that.

My purpose right now is to ask if you are able to add a photograph of your training school badge to your profile? It will then appear beside any post that you make. That would ensure that other members would be aware of your origins (so to speak) no matter what topic was being discussed. Like the one in 'backman's popst above. And it looks nice!!

If you are unsure of how to do that, or don't have a photo, have a look for your badge in our member galleries and let me know which one it is and I will add it for you, or not, as you may wish, it isn't compulsory and we don't give black marks, only welcomes. The member galleries are here:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery/

There is a blue 'Search' button at the top of the page, click that and enter your hospital name or geographical location of the hospital and hopefully we will find your badge. If not, I am willing to fly to New Zealand at your expense to get the photograph...

Very Best,
Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk