News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

What was in your postbag today?

Started by backman, June 17, 2014, 10:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Hi Barry ,that particular badge is for St Peter's Hospital Henrietta St London.This was a hospital treating Urological disorders and would certainly have had a range of Operating Theatres so possibly was a ODA training facility? The latin Infirmos Curate was basically a motto meaning Heal the Sick so could have applied to any hospital I'm afraid so not a definitive ID.

barrysutton

Do you happen to know what district/area/postcode Henrietta Street is in?

backman

It's close to Covent Garden so a couple of streets north of the Strand,WC2E. Handy for the Monday antiques market and afternoon tea at the Savoy.

backman

This mornings post had a parcel of Nursing and Health related badges including a couple of unknowns,two postcards ,a very kind instruction guide for how to assemble a QARANC veil,a copy of Private Eye magazine,A Russian film war film on Stalingrad,and a nice silver GNC badge.

barrysutton

You can try me regarding the unknowns and I hope the veil (origarmi) is of use.

backman

Thanks Barry, I have added some to the albums and others are available here;https://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/

nursesue

a very nice Littlemore Hospital - photo follow

Magpie

At long last - a Nightingale badge courtesy of Peters Collectables. No more badge buying this month!!

barrysutton

A wonderful Gold Coast nursing badge and two smashing U.S. hospital badges

backman

I have finally managed to get an example of an Edwardian Nurses set/chatelaine.I have several cabinet card pictures of Victorian and Edwardian nurses wearing such sets suspended from their belts and I believe that they would have been considered essential tools of the trade at the time.This one is leather and retains 3 of it's original tool containers in brass.
Two cabinet cards,including one showing 8 Leicester Nursing Sisters in remarkably relaxed poses!!! One nice postcard of a ward at St Bartholomew's Hospital circa 1908

backman

Delivered to my temporary address in Wales were a variety of goodies today .A commemorative Brass plaque of Edith Cavell,3 assorted ebay badge purchases,what I believe is a student nurse star badge from Mater Misercordia Hospital Dublin, a hefty volume of A reference list of Surgical Instruments and appliances for Allen & Hanbury ltd 1930.
I have just completed a 3 day tour of the antiques centres of the cotswolds.7Antiques Centre1 Antiques fair,several smaller Antiques shops.Sum total of Nursing items one silver badge for Sheffield Royal Infirmary and four postcards of nursing groups.Still managed to buy some Art Deco pieces and just avoid appearing in shot on the Antiques Road Trip! So far no magical El dorado of undiscovered nursing badges but there is still this weekend?

eric

What colour is centre of the Mater Dublin student badge (as I have 4 different colours, but wondering if this another colours)?
Eric

backman

Silver chrome six pointed star with a navy blue enamel and MMH in the middle.No makers marks.I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one in your album Eric.

nursesue

Stunning LGH/Leicester General which I have been after for ages and a gartloch

backman

The Leicester is a nice on,as is the Gartloch.Does anyone know if the ordinal LGH badges would have been as highly polished when issued and worn? This one does actually look good for it? I used to work with one nurse many years ago who polished all of her badges and her GNC EN badge was practically golden.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk