News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

nightingales? unnamed?

Started by Sarah Rogers, June 24, 2012, 03:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pugwash

I just smell a rat - why would the seller withdrawal?

Sarah Rogers

it is fishy ! she hasnt replied to my question about why they were withdrawn(i didnt think she would but you never know!) or some one made an off ebay offer..it happened recently with a nother badge that just went..not meant to happen but does! Lizzie

Sarah Rogers

i got this reply from the seller this morning:
"Hi, I removed them as they were part of my late fathers collection, and Im just not ready to lat them go at the moment. I may re-list in the future, sorry"

this may be the link to them:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330754281078?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1182

Lizzie

nursesue

gets fishier by the moment!!! ::)

Sarah Rogers

hI sUE, COULDNT AGREE MORE!   , is it possible to test silver and tell its age anyone? Lizzie

nursesue

hi - would have thought that hallmarks were enough to prove age and authenticity Having watched Antiques roadshow there is something that they use to test unknown metals but is this for gold only??
am sure a good jeweller would be able to help

Sarah Rogers

hi, if an item is stamped silver that is more difficult ? as it doesnt give a hall mark to date, lizzie

backman

I don't believe that any of the Nightingale badges that I've seen have carried a full hallmark and indeed few are even marked as being silver.other more experienced collectors may of course be able to add more details.The difficulty with nursing badges ,other than  national states badges,unlike military medals appear to follow few standard patterns over their histories.Different batches may have been produced by different manufacturers with variations in colour,size,finding,etc. Few of these variations are known or recorded and the majority of existing knowledge of types,patterns and details is held by a small group of collectors,predominantly on this site.Only by further detailed research from the remaining school of nursing records where they exist or from manufacturers records might we get a betterpicture of these.

Sarah Rogers

1 of them is back on for sale?- now as a private listing , bt still seems imperfect around edges Lizzie

nursesue

found it - have decided not to bid on it not because i think its "wrong" but because i don't like sellers who retract bids and withdraw items and then resell at a later date Have had this done to me so many times and now i just don't bother with them In fact one guy in Australia dated  the same set twice for different and invalid reasons 1st time says price was wrong but i had bid over his reserve price Relisted and dated again for same reason and yes i complained to ebay and won't buy from him/her anymore >:(

Sarah Rogers

Hi Sue, yes i agree, because one minute the badge is being unlisted as it is setimental because it was her fathers and the next it is being relisted!...i supect they will be very popular because of the rarity...pity the silver cannot be tested for age: it seems odd that they werent used up, the wonky bits may be removed whilst engraving names and the badges  tidied up around the edges..so why not use up all the silver ones first...unless they didnt have enough for the next set qualifying so just switched makers/metals...... we will never know?  I wonder what happened to the ? taylor nightingale...did it come back to the UK?...to Tomiies collection?
Lizzie
ps Good Luck to Murray tomorrow!!

Pugwash

Have had another chat to the people in charge of the collection at Tommy's. I sent them the ebay link to show them. Caused quite a bit of interest!
For some strange reason all EN badges had a full Birmingham silver mark on them (mine did) but the RN badges started out with a hallmark but then just had SILVER stamped on them, they couldnt tell me the date it changed but it was early ? end of the 30's/40's

They tell me there is a way to tell if a Nightingale badge is genuine or not and I have asked their permission to publish this but have heard nothing back as yet. Watch this space.

On the India front - have had the next session of jabs, my rear end is like a sieve!!. My "uniform" has arrived which consists of bright Tango orange t shirts and baseball hats with matching backbacks.  Just so not my colour. Give me back my denim dress, crisp apron and lace cap anyday - lol

Sarah Rogers

thanks, for information about the badges ;sounds interesting?
you will not go missing in your t shirt!
Lizzie

nursesue

yes a very interesting debate and can't wait for pugwash's next bit. Oh and it sounds as if pugwash is being sponsored by sleazy jet or has just been tangoed Whatever the uniform its a great thing you're doing
sue ;D

nursesue

well real or not it didn't find its way to very rain sodden Fife :'(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk