News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Ask Matron-Freemasons Hospital/Royal Masonic Hospital

Started by backman, March 14, 2014, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Is anyone familiar with which of the many Masonic jewels(Badges) which are often described as Nursing items are actually such rather than Redevelopment Fund items. I know that the Nurse training school did issue a buckle but I am unsure which of the different badges denote the one awarded to nurses rather than Patrons? I believe the Gold version may have been for Female life Patrons?

wilfb

Hi Peter,

I have a London Hospital Lodge (Freemasons) Masonic Jewel - a founders badge. It is an absolutely superb item dating back to 1901. I added photographs to our last newspage:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

Left lower column (Collecting). Unfortunately I have not had time recently to follow up the details but there is as full a description as I could gather on the newspage...

Perhaps there are others - it does seem likely. Barry can possibly add something.

Best,
Will.

barrysutton

I'll have to look this up but I believe there are 3 nurses jewels(medals) as such with relation to the Royal Free Hospital, London there is also a nurses badge for this hospital.

backman

The Royal Free is not to be confused with the Royal Masonic Hospital.I have found a link which describes the different Jewels awarded in connection with the hospital and it is these that are often wrongly listed and sold as being nurses badges.See;    http://www.freemasonry.london.museum/os/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Royal-Masonic-Hospital.pdf

There was a buckle(one of which is currently on ebay at £££££s) and a badge which resembles the other jewels but has an enamelled suspension bar,all the others are for finding/support of the hospital and are not hospital badges as we know them. 

wilfb

Hi.

Added on behalf of barry ('barrysutton').

Will.
Ps. Please note that you must be logged-in to view photographs herein.

backman

Top one has appeared on various badges and watch fobs on Ebay and features the arms of Leeds.The motto "Strive for Virtue" suggests a school,as does the RS -R......School.It unusual for  Hospital emblems to feature on fobs unless they are associated with Fund raising or sporting events,and then they are frequently detailed as being "the xxxx Hospital Cup" or such like.I have bought several fob type badges for Hospitals over the years and few if any were for Nursing awards.

I have not come across the 2nd badge before but it has the sound of one of many organisations which sprang up,particularly in the 1930s,to promote health and social improvement.I will see if I can pin it down any further.

wilfb

Posted for member 'barrysutton'...

Does anyone Know anything about this organization?  (Photograph below).

Please remember to be logged-in to see the photograph. Click to change size...

backman

An interesting badge ,well described here;  http://cohse-union.blogspot.co.uk/2008/12/nuco-guild-of-nurses-1937.html

It mentions the Masked Nurses demonstration just before the second world war.If anyone can find a link to pictures they are really interesting.

backman

Someone has kindly provided me with a picture and I have added it to the albums once it is cleared.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk