News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

postcards and other memoribilia

Started by nursesue, October 12, 2013, 09:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

Have just looked at all the amazing post cards that have just gone and was wondering if anybody is bidding on the West Bromwich booklet on ebay? Quite fancy it but don't want to push the price up if someone else has already got a bid on and my mate Pete is tempting me again Panic not if you see me selling some stuff - am selling on behalf of a friend who has some duplicates in his collection.

myk1066

Hi Sue
I'm not a collector of booklets/postcards etc so I shan't be competing.  Good luck.
Mike

Magpie

Hi Sue, I shan't bid although I do collect some postcards. I'm bidding on a couple of WW1 nursing cards.Good luck! Rosemary

backman

Hi Sue, I do collect both School of Nursing Prospectus(s?)and Hospital Staff Handbooks ,etc as they are useful contemporary window into the history of an individual site.At one stage,when considering taking up nurse training,one would have written off to the hospitals in question and received such as a booklet extolling their facilities,etc.They seem to have started in the 1930s and were certainly common through the 50s,60s and 70s.I have around 20 or so and was bidding on this but am happy to stand down if you want to go for it. Although they come up from time to time most were thrown away,hence the term Ephemera for such collectables.I would love to find any from Jersey or Peterborough but haven't seen any yet. Perhaps an article on collecting Nursing Ephemera might be of interest? Unfortunately the scans of these don't come out too well on the photo pages although I do have several on my Flickr pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/sets/72157625612667954/

As far as Nurse postcards are concerned,these are still relatively easy to find,and not too expensive yet. I have been collecting postcards(Deltiology)for many years but only concentrated on Hospital and Nursing cards for the last 10 years.I have about 2,500 different hospital cards and 500 nurses as well as a few early Cabinet and Carte des Visit cards.Once again these are becoming more popular (and therefore more expensive )but it still possible to pick them up fairly easily and the advantage is that they appear more frequently than badges and can sometimes be found at antiques or collectors fairs.

see:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/sets/72157616037803577/

backman

Sarah Rogers

When I applied to nursing, I had a pile of 10 lovely brochures,(st Thomas's , Barts, charing cross, the radcliffe and some others) which i only threw away after I started at the London!..what a shame, and I am relieved that when pruning items after i stopped nursing/was preparing for chemo I rescued my LH one from the bin...and will not throw it away..

nursesue

als didn't get the west brom booklet - it went for more than i wanted to pay especially as  got tempted elsewhere

Magpie

OK Sue - spill the beans ,what did you get tempted with?!!!

nursesue

the really nice Coventry ophthalmic  - there should be a picture in the gallery  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk