News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Nurses Leagues

Started by backman, January 07, 2009, 06:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

As we all appear to be hibernating or recovering from festive excesses I thought I had better attempt a new thread!
At one stage many of the Hospitals with attached Schools of Nursing had their own Nurses League which were open for membership to nurses who either trained or worked within a specific hospital for a set period.They helped to provide a sense of belonging to alumni of the hospital even when moving on elsewhere and often produced annual journals of events to update on activities during the year.A number also provided members with the opportunity to purchase a badge of the league to show their allegiance to a particular institution,notably The London,Guys,Westminster,etc which later evolved into the formal hospitals badges.These badges are often just as collectable (or even more so) than the traditional badges,as witnessed by recent ebay sales of Whipps Cross and The Royal South Hants League badges.
Unfortunately with the passage of time and changing attitudes to Group membership of such organisations,most of these groups have disappeared.Several do still remain however and manage to  arrange reunions and newsletters which are a treasure for historians.I wonder if members are aware of those hospitals which still posess an active Nurses League to possibly advertise and support their continued existance?

backman

wilfb

Hi Peter,

Well done - I'm glad that someone was willing to kick off the New Year with a new topic.  I feel sure that the Christmas excesses are at least partly to blame for the lack of noise, though in my own case it is quite simply a serious excess of workload.

Retirement is a place to avoid!

However, the topic.  I was never fortunate enough to work anywhere possessing an active nurses league, so on that score I cannot make direct revelations of any value.  However, at least one of our correspondents - and a small number of our members, most certainly did.  I will pass the topic link to those I know might have an interest, as well as including it in our finding news page (a couple of weeks yet I'm afraid).  Meanwhile, like you I am more than interested in what people may have to contribute, so lets hope that they do!

Will.

nursesue

hi - I meandered off and followed the links and found some sites better than others but its such a  shame to see that some leagues are closing due to finding memberships. I think it would be great to belong to one - we didn't have a league at my school of nursing and I often wonder what became of my fellow student friends!! One  became a midwife and now works in health promotion in Brum and one was struck off finding irregularities with the DDAs !!!! :o
sue x

backman

Although an old thread I thought I would add this link to a really active League,nice to see it and as they are just up from the road from me I may make contact as I know that they maintain a nice collection of memorabilia.   http://www.norfolkandnorwichuniversityhospitalnursesleague.co.uk/

Magpie

I just heard today that the Westminster League is closing down and heard a while ago from a friend who is a member of Guys League that they won't be having any more meetings, such a shame. It is so nice to hear what old colleagues are doing but many of us are now retired and it is difficult to get younger members and the University trained nurses no longer have allegience to any hospital.

Sarah Rogers

The royal london league has more memebrs this year i believe some brought in by a facebook group, with more people joing up...hammersmith had their last reunion i believe? last year
Lizzie

markwatson

hi there hope all is well with everyone got for sale / swap a royal cornwall school of nursing silver hallmarks  also a lovely north riding infirmary middlesborough named and dated to kathleen tierney 1940 and finally devonshire college of nursing and midwifery silver hallmarks contact me via this site or markwatson47@yahoo.com   im friends with nurse sue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk