News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

SCM Badge

Started by myk1066, February 08, 2015, 08:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

One of these has just sold for £82, amazing & I know the argument for people paying high prices, I've got a couple of those I may sell but don't hold out much hope of them reaching a high price.

Magpie

Didn't I see one of these described as "rare"? In whose opinion I wonder or is it sales patter?

myk1066

I concur, not rare in my opinion.

backman

Perhaps rare wasn't the best description but "Relatively uncommon ,in comparison to GNC Badges,on Ebay but still being sought by midwives of a pre 1983 vintage" doesn't roll off the tongue quite so well.You should list yours to see if it was a one off?
I can always sell these when they appear but closer to the £15-£20 mark.It is all down to perception and how much someone wants to replace a lost item.

myk1066

Are the SCM badges still issued when a midwife joins the union?

backman

The State Certified Midwife badge as awarded by the Central Midwives Board was the Midwifery equivolent of the GNC badge and ceased to be awarded after 1983 when the CMB was replaced by the UKCC.The Royal College of Midwives however still exist,similarly to the RCN,and I believe still issue certain badges although I'm not sure they still have a members badge as such?

myk1066

nursesue

perhaps midwifery badges are the next "must haves" The red scottish midders went for £100 ( the red enamel ones changed to the blue enamel in the 1940s) the gold coloured  SCM badge prices tend to fluctuate as I have seen them go anywhere from £20 and a recent one in Romania went for  £55 but the seller sold a RCM badge for £67. The Dorset and Certified midwife set is at £140. I really do have some rare midders badges but as for selling them??.... no as I would never be able to replace them The rarest one I have is the North Edinburgh School of midwifery finding a dolphin (well i think it is) found in a collection of enamel badges and I paid 99p for the lot!!! and subsequently sold the others on and made a wee profit.
I still like to watch prices and daydream often of finding my "must haves"

myk1066

That North Edinburgh School of Midwifery is a nice badge.

Magpie

Never mind Sue, one day your boat will come and hopefully you'll remember all your S of N buddies!!

backman

I have always wondered why Midwifery badges were less popular than General Nurse items and put it down to the fact that they were worn less in practice.The original reason that was quoted for early midwifery badges being worn suspended on neck chords was that they were less likely to scratch baby but am unsure when this idea changed.I know that there is a Shire publication coming from Susan Cohen sometime this year which may feature some midwifery badges so perhaps we can expect further interest?
The other area under recognised is Community Nursing and the many Queens Nurses variants and Nursing Co-operations badges

backman

Apparently the Shire Publication The Midwife is now delayed until 2016  but I can recommend the District Nurse and Medical Services in the First World War as good little information booklets.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk