News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Scottish Registration badges

Started by barrysutton, October 03, 2009, 10:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

Just a simple question this time, could somebody please list all the variations of Scottish Nursing Regitration/Qualification badges.
All the best,
ODPBarry

wilfb

Hi Barry.

Oh' but I do just like your 'simple' questions! Maybe I can start the replies to this one by pointing you (and anyone else interested) to an article by Sue (nursesue herein):-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Nursingbadges/Articles/Badgedesignxx.htm

Which has illustrated details of Scottish Registration badges about halfway down the page. Six of the badges are pictured, SRN/RFN/RSCN/RMN/RMND and an enrolled nurse badge but there were more - the magically rare SEAN badge to name one.  Maybe Sue or Peter will take this one a bit further - I was just about to seek out my photo af the questionable English SRN badge to add to your English Registration badge ('General Nursing Council') topic.

W.

nursesue

there are the seperate qualified midwives badge. the 1928 red certified midwife badge - replaced in the 1940s by the blue version. In 1962 the Central midwives board for Scotland was granted its own coat of arms and the badge was changed to reflect this.
Rumour has it that there is a Registered Male nurse badge of which ( i believe) Pete has a photo of....
can't think of anymore but if i do i'll let you know
sue

backman

Have dug out a picture of a picture just to prove that it wasn't a figment of my imagination. See; http://nursingbadges.multiply.com/photos/album/105

backman

Ralph has kindly added the details that this badge has a hallmark for 1923/24."it was made in 1923/24 halmark birmingham maker B&S
the proud owner was W.Cochrane C 25.087"

nursesue

hi I did try and research this badge but got no where I even tried the RCN and got nothing from them either. Ralph is a very lucky guy
sue

backman

I suppose that the next step is an outing to the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh to wade through the Scotish Council Minute book for 1920-24 GNC1/1 ?
I have found a report from the annual report of the general nursing council for Scotland in the May 1924 edition of the British Journal of Nursing(found on the RCN archive) the link may not work but I'll try; http://rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/

This gives numbers of applicants for the different parts of the register in 1923 and of those accepted there were General  1760, Male Nurse 8, Mental nurse 217, Mental Defective Nurse 7, Sick Children's Nurse 46, Fever Nurse 360.
There is also a paragraph on Badges; The council adopted a badge for each class of Registered Nurse,and made arrangements for the supply and issue of these to registered nurses at a price of 4s 6d.

So ,depending upon how long it was until the Male Nurse badge was deemed uneconomical due to low numbers is aproximately how many may exist if they haven't been scrapped ,lost or not even purchased in the first place.4s 6d in 1924 is approximately £42 in modern terms

wilfb

Hi Peter.

Do you think then, that there may be one or two Sottish male nurse badges still not purchased?  I think that at 4/6d - or even £42 - I might like one.

I feel certain that lady collectors would not be eligible - that should cut the competition a little!! (With apologies..)

W.

backman

I might even be prepared to go as high as 5/- !!!!

Whilst I agree that obviously male nurses should get 1st dibs on any male nurse badge the danger will of course be that our female colleagues get equal opportunities on all female badges! As part of a minority group I'm not sure that we should go there.
Interestingly I have never yet come across a badge from the Male Nurses Society,I wonder why as I know they existed.Anyone else got one?

nursesue

no  offence taken guys. I keep meaning to pop over to Edinburgh to the RCN but I just end up shopping!!!
oh well back to the studying -only 400 more words to find for my assignment!!!!

backman

finding up on this old thread,this get more and more curious.I have checked the Register of Nurses against the name and number given only to find that the number C 25087 is for the Mental Nurses part of the Register to Walter Cochrane of Rowanbank, Balbeggie by Perth registered on 22/6/34 having qualified at James Murray's Royal Asylum Perth A.E(After Examination)
As far as those nurses on section B Male Nurses(General Trained) on the register in 1938 there are only four names,three of whom qualified with the Royal Army Medical Corps.Their Reg Numbers are B7002,7003,7004 and 7009 so I can only presume that the missing numbers have come off the register?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk