News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Design in history -religion and saints

Started by nursesue, December 01, 2007, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

Please forgive the long delay in writing this article I've been away in Athens, sorting out my lost luggage claim & studying for my COPD diploma. Its a long article and has taken sometime to research but hopefuly you'll find it interesting. I'll continue  on a similar theme ( but shorter) next time...

Many nurses' badges have their origins in religion, Christianity and secular virtues. Many religious orders and work/poor houses later developed into nurse training schools or hospitals. The medallions that many religious sisters and brethren wore to denote their allegiance to an order can now be seen in many nursing badges. Examples of these include the Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, the Sisters of Charity and St John the Devine. This is a subject well worth reading and should be an article all of its own.
Patron Saints also appear on numerous badges. These include Andrew (Scotland), Appolonius (dentists), Blaise (sore throats), Bride (Scottish saint of fertility), Mungo (Glasgow), George (England) and Peter, the most important Apostle and keeper of the keys of Heaven.
St Mungo is represented at the top of the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital issued in 1959 after being designed by the Matron, Asst Matron, Principle Tutor and executed by the artist brother of a midwife. The Saltire representing St Andrew can be seen at the bottom of the badge. The 1962 issue of the Central Midwives Board for Scotland has 3 oystercatchers and these birds are associated with St Bride. St Andrew can be seen on the St Andrews Hospital Northampton badge holding a white cross (again for Scotland). This badge is almost 3D in effect and the pictures don't do it justice. St Peter is featured on the midwifery badge of St Peter's Surrey Hospital badge. Issued in 1973 when the maternity unit opened. The design is taken from the sculpture found in the courtyard (by Miss Lancaster) and at the suggestion of the Consultant Obstetrician (Mr Norris) Miss Lancaster incorporated the design into the badge with a few extra features. St Peter is holding keys in his left hand whilst blessing a mother & baby with the other. The pomegranate tree is depicted (ancient sign of fertility) with St Peter s Abbey in the background (this was the wealthiest abbey in England until the dissolution) St Vincent's Orthopaedic Hospital shows St Vincent de Paul sheltering children under his cape. This badge was issued in 1967. The hospital was founded as St Vincent's Cripples Home in 1907 and the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent DePaul cared for the boys. The Cross of Lorraine is a double-armed cross and a 9th Century religious symbol. It was adopted by Godfrey de Bouillon Duke of lower Lorraine (the first knight to enter Jerusalem in the crusades of 1099). This can be found on the various badges of the British Thoracic Association and the 1966 badge of Benenden Chest Hospital (designed by the Matron). The Brompton Hospital's badge was issued in 1974 and shows the Good Samaritan. The design was taken from the large plaque displayed in the hospital entrance.
And finally.... and hopefully amusing - the Royal ENT hospital London. This badge features St Blaise (also patron saint of wool combers) & a small boy pointing to his throat. H e was a 4th century bishop who saves the life of a boy who was choking on a fishbone. The boy's mother lit candles in thanks and it is from this that the medieval practice of placing 2 crossed candles upon the sore throats of suffer. (Wonder if this better than strepsils????!!!!!!........). He later died by being tortured by having his flesh torn away by a comb used for teasing wool. His emblems are an iron wool-comb and 2 crossed candles.
That's all for now more (and shorter) next time
sue ;D

wilfb

All this is finding Sue. As you know, we are working on an illustrated article of your badge design posts for the main site. When visitors can see these designs on the actual badges I think that they will see nursing badges in a new light. I certainly did and I received my first many years ago...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk