News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Nurses day 2013

Started by backman, May 11, 2013, 06:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Not technically until the 12th May but we held an event yesterday in the chapel of my hospital to commemorate Nurses Day.I brought along a selection of the badges,certificates,pictures and ephemera to display and as always these were well commentated upon by past and present nurses.I'm afraid I didn't get to take photos but hopefully others did.
I met one of the members of the Norfolk and Norwich Hospitals Nurses League and shared information on common interests with an invite to their own AGM next year.
Although few nurses attending actually wore their badges,several did say that they would dig them out of drawers and let me photograph and see these. So all in a useful event and a chance to share our passion for nursing and history with like minded souls.
Have a good day tomorrow for all those still labouring at the front but also those who have done their bit and now support from the rear!

backman

I thought I would let people try the quiz which I included for our event ,although it was far too hard for the average nurse attending! See if you can do any better?

Nurses and Nursing History Quiz

How is your knowledge of the Nursing Profession and it's history?

INITIALS      Healthcare loves to abbreviate ,but can you identify what the finding stand for?

RFN, RMPA, GNC, ICN, QVJNI, RNMD, RBNA,ENB, BAPSN,SRMN,
NAWU,SEAN,ONC,PCANSR,SMN.

NURSING FIGURES      Nursing history is full of characters who have shaped the profession,but other than Florence Nightingale, how many people can name other key nurses?

Who was SRN number one on the ENB register?

Who was the matron of the London hospital,portrayed in the TV drama "Casualty 1908" ?

Who was the Welsh nurse who also served in the Crimean war along with FN and Mary Seacole?

Who Founded the College of Nursing in 1916?

A PROFESSION    What year finally saw the introduction of Nurse Registration in the England and Wales?

Which country was the first to introduce Nurse registration?

When did the GNC Cease to exist, being replaced by the UKCC?

nursesue

happy nurses day - and i'm gonna try and work out the answers!!
i enjoy a challenge

barrysutton

I'm only a RODP and I know the answers to most of these quiz questions, however I assume that your going to print the answers.

Sarah Rogers

Barry...there's no only about it- I used to say I was "only" part time...i feel (well felt in my case as I am retired) that we are all valuable members of the team.... how could OPD operate without you?
Lizzie

backman

Right I thought I better list the answers for those who tried it.It should have been relatively easy for those regulars on here,particularly those badge collectors amongst you.

Registered Fever Nurse,Royal Medico Psychological Association,General Nursing Council,International Council of Nurses,Queen Victoria's Jubilee Nursing Institute,Registered Nurse Mental Disability,Royal British Nursing Association,English National Board,British Association of Plastic Surgery Nurses,Society of Registered Male Nurses or State Registered Mental Nurse,National Asylum Workers Union,State Enrolled Assistant Nurse,Orthopaedic Nursing Certificate,Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service Reserve,Society of Mental Nurses.

Ethel Bedford Fenwick

Eva Luckes

Betsi Cadwaladr

Sarah Swift

The Nurses Act 1919

New Zealand

June 30th 1983

Simple yes?

nursesue

the only one i didn't get was th e name of the Welsh nurse and thought you might like this link http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2336920

backman

Thanks Sue,

I find the picture really quite sad when you consider just how much EBF did in the fight for registration.Perhaps the RCN History society might like to start a campaign to acknowledge her contribution and tidy up the grave before the centenary in 1919,even though she was their opposition?

wilfb

Hi.

Yes, that is a really sad picture. I had never seen it before - had never even thought about where she was buried but had assumed that she had been well -recognized. There seems to have been a total lack of acknowledgement of her achievements which should really be feted nationally. And yes, I agree fully with the idea regarding a campaign to tidy up the grave before the 1919-2019 centenary. And the RCN history society seems a perfect way to start one. Perhaps Peter might sow the seed - I for one would be quite willing to contribute. Her contribution to raising the standards of nursing care was magnificent, and should not be left un-remarked. That neglected plot is an insult to the achievements of Mrs Ethel Bedford-Fenwick and to the nursing profession as a whole. I wonder what others think?

Will.

backman

I agree, I too thought that her grave would be maintained as per FN . A campaign is certainly indicated!

http://southwellchurches.nottingham.ac.uk/thoroton/pegmheadstone.jpg

Sarah Rogers

I hope to go to my 1st RCN history soc meeting in june..will try mention it to some one -- see what they think! Lizzie.
ps it looks like the whole area needs maintenance..the age old problem of the churchyard..

barrysutton

You threw me with ONC, I thought this stood for Ordinary National Certificate, still one should learn a new fact every day.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk