News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

fake badges

Started by Sarah Rogers, November 23, 2011, 10:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Rogers

Hi, is there any advice re replica/fake badges and how to spot them, especially with the modern ones/ more recent badges from the last 20-30 years. many thanks Lizzie

backman

Hi Lizzie,
Unfortunately as the demand for and therefore price of nursing badges increases,then the return on producing replicas or copies becomes more attractive,as can be seen in military badge collecting.At present this hasn't happened too much and other than a few recent copies of some mental health hospitals the majority of badges you see for sale are likely to be genuine.There are occassionally large batches of a particular badge which may come onto the market which usually denotes a store of unissued badges been found and released,as with East Roding some years ago.
The best answer is to try and examine as many badges as you can to try and gauge the look,feel and finish of the original thing.This may not be easy if your only source of badges is purchased on line.I'm afraid it really does come with practice but I will attempt to show the difference between an original and a copy with a photo before the weekend,once I get a chance.

wilfb

Hi Lizzie.

I agree with all that 'backman' has said

I don't personally think that (yet) there is much of a problem with fake badges - they don't seem much of a problem right now as the cost of reproduction is probably, in most cases, more than it would be worth. There are not as many nursing badges about as in other fields, where repro is the norm. Probably because our field is not particularly popular and large numbers not the norm. The situation is may well change.

Having said that, have a look at this:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Articles/ACReplicaBadges1.htm

Ali Costello can have nursing badges made to order. Fortunately for us he is ethical and completly honest, and possibly a good source of hard to get/irreplaceable badges.

Having said that, the best way to ensure that a nursing badge is genuine is to either bone up seriously on the field and only buy from a reputable source. Preferably one who will return your money if defrauded in any way. It does occaisionally happen.

My own speciality are GNC badges - and I am still working on the possible variation/permutations of these badges. I think that I can spot one - even by a description - but I may be wrong. But always ask someone who is likely to assist if you are not certainabout parting with your loot. There are members of our forum only too willing to help.

Meanwhile, maybe have a look at this:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/GNCEWBadges.htm

It will give an idea of the possible similarities between badges. 'backman' has already added a good dose of the reality of the situatuion - hopefully other such members with (like Peter) much wider exprience than my own will chip in soon - it's a good topic.

Will.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, many thanks to you both , a great help, id read the article  already which helped, . I have  just recieved a frenchay badge off ebay which looks so new with little wear(but it may  have not been worn much if at all! )
I have searched for Eidleweiss's projected book......has it been published yet. Many thanks for your  help, Lizzie
ps would a modern London hospital set photo be of interest?(poor quality sadly despite being in an album since 1981..

wilfb

Hi Lizzie.

I don't know of any repro Frenchay badges - if Ali Costello doesn't seel any I don't think they are made.....

No, I don't think Edelweiss's book has been published yet. I will ask her and let you know.

Yes, of course the photograph of a modern London Hospital set is of interest - can you email it? I will be yours forever - after Pam (my wife!)... But yes, the photo would be much appreciated - we are very short of modern photographs. Any chance you can name the people?

Will.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, ive been trying to ...the little grey cells are challenged, but found my presentation booklet(all the years people not just our set)..will email it to you , Lizzie.

nursesue

hi Lizzie I have had some doubts about a couple of badges that I got off ebay They just didn't "feel" right Maybe it was unmentioned replacement pins but once the seed of doubt has been sewn it lingers and I don't enjoy the badges in quite the same way Saying that I have bought off Ali Costello and his replicas are as such and of good quality. I do tend to avoid anything being sold from China/Hong Kong

Sarah Rogers

Hi Sue, thanks, I have a doubt or two about 1-2 badges... and suspect one is just unused but wonder about the other, and researching it further. thanks for your advice, Lizzie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk