News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

scarves , car badges and paperweights

Started by nursesue, April 21, 2018, 09:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

reading Wilf's item on his wife's lost GOSH scarf got me thinking I recently acquired a beautiful Edinburgh Royal infirmary scarf and is my 2nd Edinburgh SoN scarf. So how many hospitals issued scarves? I know that there is an RCN one

Also I recently came across a beautiful car badge https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLD-ENAMELLED-CAR-BADGE-THE-NATIONAL-HOSPITALS-FOR-NERVOUS-DISEASES/372280583654?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
and I have a Glasgow Royal one, I know the RCN have one as does Manchester ( some one here got this recently) - so how many are there out there?

Paperweights I do believe that I missed out on a Scottish one a few years ago and I do own an old GNC one - again are there any others

and finally ( thanks to Sarah) this is worth a watch http://www.channel5.com/show/portillos-hidden-history-of-britain/

barrysutton

I have a number of Car badges, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Altringham General Hospital (St. Ann's), Leighton Hospital (Crewe), R.C.N., Q.A.R.A.N.C. x 2 patterns, R.A.M.C. x 3 patterns, B.M.A. x 2 patterns, Hong Kong Chinese Doctors Association, a Tuberculous Hospital one from India, District Nurses, R.N.L.I., others known to exist A.M.A. (Auxiliary Medical Association, Hong Kong), Guys Hospital, Emergency Medical Technician (U.S.A.).
Also there is a paperweight for the opening of Ysbyty Glan Clwyd Bodelwyddan 1980.
With regards scarfs, Queen Victoria presented some to returning nurses from the Crimea War., (unfortunately I don't possess one).
I also have a brass ashtray for Tranmere Hospital (Birkenhead), a candle holder and snuffer given to the Dental Surgeon from Thelwell V.A.D. Hospital (Warrington), a pin dish for Hornsea V.A.D. Hospital and a receiving card holder for Florence Nighingale.

backman

I am away again till mid week,so will try and dig out a few bits on my return.I know that quite a few different hospital scarves exist as well as a few variants of RCN ones.The RCN also produced blazer badges,cardigans and such.Car badges,again a few which I know Barry has mentioned.Paperweights,lots including RCN,Charing X,etc.I have an old one for the Temperance Male Nurses cooperative.they do make for an interesting field of collecting and not always too expensive.

barrysutton

Two more paperweights being Dudley Road, Birmingham 100th Centenary and S.A.S.F.A. (Soldiers, Airmen and Sailors Families Association).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk