News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

2018/19 pay rise!!!!

Started by myk1066, March 21, 2018, 03:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

What do we all think?  Lose a days annual leave & a paultry 6.5% over 3 years!  Where will it end, what else is in it?  I'm personally working at an advanced level cross site, ED, Ambulatory Care & Urgent Care. and my salary no way reflects my responsibility, we've replaced Registrars/Middle Grades & Consultants, we see the same type of patient and are constantly under pressure.  I go to work worrying if I can do my job & go home hoping I've done right by my patients.  Noting is going down in price, Registration fees, Union fees, cost of living, I could go on............

backman

I think it reflects the value that this government places upon Nursing and Health Care. I fear however that it is probably the best that the unions will be able screw out them as unfortunately/fortunately Nurses will always fall victim to their own sense of caring.
Why give us any more when we have little collective muscle with which to barter? We talk about industrial action but realistically that is unlikely to happen.We effectively let our negotiators go in to discussions with an unloaded gun.Nurses are no longer seen as deserving Angels due to the demonisation of the profession by the right wing press and successive Tory governments have weakened the unions to the point they barely function.All this will further devalue the attraction of Nursing as an occupation to all but  the most devoted.Having stripped the continents of trained nurses one wonders where we will find our future caregivers.China perhaps,or maybe we need to speed the development of the Robot Nurse?

wilfb

Hi.

I have been retired for some years now, but I second all of that.  Nothing ever seems to change for nurses. How long have we been bemoaning our nurse shortages?  I think it started becoming a public issue in the 1920's.  Perhaps the government of today is hoping for extra hands in the form of robots? If only because they will not fight for better.....

Will.

myk1066

Get this, the RCN response!!!!

The new NHS pay deal unveiled today is "the best possible deal we could negotiate", according to the Royal College of Nursing's associate director for employment relations.

backman

As I was involved in joint negotiations for many years I know that it only works when you have something to negotiate with! The government know that if they offer nurses something derisory but spin it to their friends in the press that some nurses will get UP TO 29%! that will make the public believe we are being greedy if we turn it down.The reality that for the majority of Nurses this still amounts to a pay cut is irrelevant in the age of fake news. Anyway what are nurses going to do about it? No finding elections so they don't have to worry there.We are so divided as a profession and generally apathetic when it comes to ballots or,god forbid,industrial action that for our numbers and influence are fairly toothless.Just look at the result of the Junior doctors dispute as to what this government and the public thinks about them and the staff of the NHS.It makes me fume but is of no direct concern to me any more since my escape from the madness.I have done my share of marching over the years but history does indeed show how effective that was against a government that really doesn't care.

Rant over!!!

nursesue

on one hand the government can't thank us enough after the busy winter period and then give themselves a decent payrise while offering us peanuts Now  I maybe wrong but is the offer on the table for NHS England? and as I'm employed by the GPs and not the NHS were does that leave us??
Sorry nurses/midwives and all other NHS staff its time to take a firm stance and consider a strike Nurses in other countries have with great success and no lives lost

barrysutton

I can't tell you about G.P's, but Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland have all said that they'll abide by the English decision.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk