News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

The State of the Union?

Started by backman, February 04, 2018, 05:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Well not quite the United States but rather our Forum and the Nursing history collecting and researching aspects of it? I know that this time of year makes us all feel lethargic(certainly does me,particularly after returning from Australia) .It may however be worth us reviewing how things are with our interests and look if there is anything we would like to see happen in the coming months?
It is clear that interest in nursing history is as high as ever,particularly with all the activities around the First World War commemorations.Some really good websites,publications and activities have been produced over the last few years,Perhaps we should try and collate those that we know of for the benefit of fellow members?
We are heading towards the centenary of Nurse Registration next year,Florence's bicentenary of her birth in 2020,the 70th anniversary of the NHS in July,the demise of the GNC 35 years ago.There will also be much activity this year around women's suffrage,of which many of our notable nurses,including Mrs Bedford Fenwick,were great supporters.

The collecting field for badges seems to ebb and flow with a new generation of collectors(some with deep pockets)driving the market.I still feel that there are a significant number of variants of School of Nursing badges to be discovered but it does still remain an expensive hobby,although bargains are still to be had.I would still like our site to gain greater exposure but we do need to encourage participation from the broader membership,suggestions are welcomed?

What do we need to be concentrating on to support our Webmaster.without whom this site wouldn't exist? Who's going to kick off?

nursesue

panic over thought when I saw subject matter we were going to delve into the world of the SNP and the wee wifey who runs it demanding yet another indy ref  but thank crunchie I was wrong!!!
The regulars will always contribute but we need to encourage the silent minority who I am sure have wonderful stories to tell and equally nice photos to share
I love to look at others photos and yes wishing I had that badge. As for deep pockets well I do confess I do get "outbid rage" for that must have badge -  especially if its a Scottish one When I first became addicted to collecting SoN badges there was a definite trend to London area badges finding the greater prices and my Scottish badges much cheaper but even now they're becoming more expensive My deep pockets are enhanced by selling spares or swapping and yes I still manage to find a bargain a recent one being for £3.00 with P&P and a rather rare  expensive Scottish die cast midders (photo to follow). While I appreciate a badge is what someone is willing to pay I just don't understand it at times My big bug bear is the never ending supply of the same badge by the same seller. like many hobbies and collections I feel that collecting SoN badges is on par with current market trends.

Maybe we could have a forum page dedictaed to the up and coming anniversaries as for our webmaster well he does a great job and lets keep sharing and posting Our greatest way to say thanks is to keep publishing our photos as to give him the wish he wants which is a record of all nursing badges issued

wilfb

Hi.

That wish list... YES PLEASE!!

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk