News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Cane Hill Hospital School of Nursing

Started by Asylum-seeker, November 28, 2008, 06:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asylum-seeker

Although not a nurse, or not connected in any way with nursing, I have developing a fascination with the development of psychiatric treatment and in particular, the development of the hospitals and asylums which facilitated this.

Cane Hill Hospital in Coulsdon has stood derelict for nearly 18 years, and had a school of nursing on top of one of it's wards. Built in 1883, it functioned first as a lunatic asylum, then was renamed Cane Hill Mental Hospital, and by the time it closed it's doors, it was known simply as Cane Hill Hospital.

I have visited the hospital for the last year or so, looking to document it in it's entirety, and the school of nursing was part of that. It featured 2 lecture rooms, a projectionists, several classrooms and a spacious area around it. Articles left behind included several large rotating chalkboards, parts of a skeleton and some  model anatomical parts, presumably used for demonstrations. I interviewed a nurse who trained at the hospital in the 1960s and found a lot of interesting information about his training.

I'm looking forwards to reading about your experiences and memories, and would be particularly fascinated to hear about experiences relating to mental hospitals.

I will share my research as it unfolds, and I hope you'll find the history of such establishments and institutions as finding as I do!

nursesue

hi- have just come across your thread. I don't if you've been to this site http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk
They have some great forums re Cane Hill as well as fantasitic photos. They have other hospitals/asylums and other buildings listed - well worth a visit
sue :)

Asylum-seeker

Thanks Sue. I am quite familiar with the site, and would urge those with an interest in the history of these buildings to take a look too. While it is easy to get bogged down with the photographs and accounts of visits to the abandonments, there is a fair amount of historical information as well.

nursesue

I can spend many a happy hour meandering through this site both with the forums and photos. I love its format and i also look at the non hospital stuff too -  some of the off topic stuff is very funny and just what i need after a stressful day at work. Well worth a peak if you haven't already!! ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk