News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Too Many Books!!

Started by backman, January 26, 2018, 03:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Having made a resolution that I would not invest in any more reference books ,I have to confess that I have failed (in my defence as they all pretty moderately priced).

I Had to have ;Beyond the Call of Duty-A Medical History of Jersey During the German Occupation 1940-1945-Val Garnier. This was my training hospital and combines my interest of Military History.I didn't know for instance,that my old room in the corridor above the main hospital had been used by German Medical staff, and that there were complaints about the noise their jackboots made on the iron stairs at night! A finding insight into the depredations of the Island community during those dark years.

The Honourable Women of the Great War-P Campion(Naval & Military Press Modern reprint)-a large book finding some of the notable Lady Volunteers and supporters of War works during WW1.

For Dauntless France-Laurence Binyon(published 1917,original edition) Details the British efforts (so far) to aid the French War wounded .The list at the back names a number of those British Nurses and Vads who served in France

The Directory of Schools of Medicine and Nursing-IHG 1983.  Whilst I rely upon several editions of the Hospitals Year book,these are not that easy to identify actual schools of nursing and the Training schemes offered by each.This however gives some useful information as to the Hospitals used for training within each school.I am not sure what years this was published but it is proving useful for more recent information

There were others but these I can certainly recommend if you can get hold of them.

backman

Not Nursing but it does feature some good pictures of nurses;Images of War Series-The Royal Army Medical Corps in the Great War-timothy McCracken.

Mark Kerr

The Jersey book sounds interesting - born there, so I had my tonsils out in your hospital there in about 1965... and lived near the spooky Underground Hospital (a military history link!)...

More locally - two new favourites...

the East Kent Gazetteer in the Great War - lists all the VAD units and other hospitals (as well as billets, barracks and non-medical military places) village by village and town by town, very handy for identifying buidlings and VADs etc (a copy for sale on ebay at the moment, as it happens)

How to Become a Nurse (I have the 1923 edition) also brilliant for seeing how many trainees taken on at what rate of pay for each General Hospital "which train probationers", Poor Law Infirmaries, Mental Hospitals and Training Schools as well as some Colonial Hospitals and Training Schools. Maybe a bit too old to help with much tracking down of schools...

Happy to look up entries in either though.

mark.
Librarian running small archive for East Kent Hospitals - photos, docs and items relating to Canterbury, Thanet, Ashford and Folkestone hospitals & SofNs.

wilfb

Hi Mark,

Really interesting... Don't suppose you can find time to do an article for us?

Will.

backman

Hello Mark, is your how to book by sir Henry Burdett or Honor Morton?

Mark Kerr

Edited by the late Sir Henry Burdett from 1899 to 1915, revised and updated by Margaret Fox... mine is 1923.

A kind gift from one of our Nurses' League reunion attendees a couple of years ago - I get some good stuff from them!
Librarian running small archive for East Kent Hospitals - photos, docs and items relating to Canterbury, Thanet, Ashford and Folkestone hospitals & SofNs.

backman

A very useful and interesting book, as is Honnor Mortens. Both are available as modern print on Demand copies. What I have never seen is the book How to Succeed as a Trained Nurse,also by sir Henry Burdett,anyone got one ?

Mark Kerr

That one is available on demand too, even in a nice leatherbound hardback edition... https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Burdett&tn=Trained+nurse&kn=&isbn=

A real original book still feels better somehow (says the librarian, predictably), but this new model of publishing does provide amazing access to content from otherwise hard-to-find sources.

nursesue

you can never have too many books I own a kindle but still prefer the feel of a real book My passion is cook books and a real good novel.
My first ever nursing book was the Nursing Aid Series on orthopaedic nursing way back in 1978. I still have a shelf full of textbooks.

One of my fave nurse history books is " A History of the General Nursing Council for England and Wales 1919-69" by Bendall and Raybould

Books are also great to be recycled - I donate my read novels to charity shops and if going on holiday I buy one from them and leave it behind for someone else to enjoy. There was also a recent debate on Jeremy Vine's BBC2 radio show last week about books and I agree they are living and wonderful things

backman

Of course it will Sarah!  When it becomes available could you please let us know where is best to order it so that the Nurses League gets the best benefit? As much as I do use Amazon I do begrudge their tax avoidance.

Sarah Rogers

Hi, it will be available in person on League day (for RLH trained nurses/ employees)- not sure about postage yet! Thanks.

myk1066

I'd take a copy whereby the league benefited rather than Amazon and the like.

backman

I have no will power when it comes to a book!!! Latest reads are "Guns and Brooches" Jan Bassett ( Australian Army Nursing from the Boer war to the Gulf War), Honours and Awards to Women to 1914-Norman Gooding. Also picked up another Hospitals and Health Services Year Book,this one being for 1980.My collection ranges from 1889 to 1980 with most decades represented but am short of the 1900s and 1910s,if anyone spots any?
Also if anyone hasn't picked up In the Company of Women-Yvonne McEwan-History of the British Army Nursing service in WW1,then check out the Museum of Military medicine shop which has it available at the excellent price of £5 plus postage: https://museumofmilitarymedicine.org.uk/product-category/books/

helenmar

I find as I get older I am very interested in nursing and surgery during the first world war when my Grandfather was active. Maybe it's just old age 😱 Heaven knows how they managed without the stuff we have today.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk