News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

A cake coated in chocolate sauce and rolled in desiccated coconut!

Started by backman, January 21, 2018, 11:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Any Australians in our midst will ,of course,know the above description refers to a "Lamington",named for the Governor General of Queensland from 1896 to 1901.His wife Lady Mary(May)Houghton Lamington(nee Hozier) accompanied him on his duties and soon involved herself in local Community.She had a particular interest in Health Care appearing at one important Fancy Dress Ball as a nurse of the time.She endowed the Lady Lamington Hospital for Women in Brisbane and had the new Nurses home for the Royal Brisbane Hospital named after her. In 1916 she volunteered to join a Voluntary Aid Detatchment in France and served as nurse in a French Field Hospital.She is named in the book "For Dauntless France"which lists British Volunteers working with the French during World War One.
The reason for this post is that I recently acquired a British Red Cross Society;For War Service 1914-1918 Medal.Over 41,00o of these were awarded most of these unnamed,however they were occasionally privately engraved and the one I found at an auction in Norfolk is engraved for Lady M.Lamington. How this ever left the family is unclear but I shall try to ensure it finds a home with either with her descendants or the Queensland archives who hold many of her papers and diaries.

We have many badges pass through our hands with little or no knowledge of the recipient but it is nice occasionally to try and find out more about the person behind the badge.

wilfb

Hi.

Nice one Peter..  It is always a good finding to be able to do something to reunite (as closely as one is able) a badge or medal with it's origins...

My own score to date is just two, and nothing as worthy as Lady Lamington's. I hope that this turns out to be an original item. You may yet be invited to Australia for tea.... And I do not laugh (but maybe you might consider taking me with you as a founder member of the Lost/Returners Society)!

I wonder if other members have found/returned items?

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk