News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Kent and Canterbury Hospital - long service

Started by Mark Kerr, May 03, 2014, 01:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Kerr

It's the day of our Nurses League annual reunion, 50 or so former (and a very few current) nurses who trained here before it all became universitified (you can imagine the opinions on that from this audience!).

One lady wearing the badge below let me borrow it over lunchtime - I can't see it in the galleries, so hopefully my first contribution to the big number  - a 40 year long-service badge for Kent and Canterbury. Interestingly stylised font for the KCH in the middle, somewhere between deco, viking and 1980s advertising design I think...

She qualified in 1953, so it was for service at K&C from 1953 to 1993.

Thomas Fattorini, Regent St, Birmingham on the reverse.

I've been promised a few more - to borrow and photograph anyway - so watch this space.

Mark.
Librarian running small archive for East Kent Hospitals - photos, docs and items relating to Canterbury, Thanet, Ashford and Folkestone hospitals & SofNs.

backman

Thanks Mark,
It is always interesting to add new badges to our(sometimes patchy) Knowledge base.We look forward to more as you able to add them. I must admit to collaring older nurses at reunions and Nurses day events and borrowing badges to photograph and try to add background where possible. I won't be doing anything for Nurses day this year as we are in Wales but usually try and display some of my items when I can. I have got an invite to attend the Nurses league  annual event at the Norfolk & Norwich hospital later in the year so will see how that goes.,there are a couple of prize medals that they have in their collection that I would love to photograph.
I wonder if any hospitals today still issue long service awards and badges? In our hospital they disappeared as a cost cutting exercise a while back but perhaps like many things in nursing they are due a comeback?

Sarah Rogers

Thanks- and good to see a proper badge being given- unlike the parker pens that west kent /tunbridge wells dished out!
Sarah

Mark Kerr

Well we still do them - here are the current crop, which I have to say I think are very uninspiring, although they are indeed 'proper' metal badges. They do come with a Marks and Spencers voucher though, which helps. Only 14 years to go before my first one.

Librarian running small archive for East Kent Hospitals - photos, docs and items relating to Canterbury, Thanet, Ashford and Folkestone hospitals & SofNs.

wilfb

Hello Mark.

Thanks for the additions/ Just thought that you might like to see the collection of Kent badges recently added bi our member 'Bill' .... some super Kent badges.  Currently on the latest gallery pages - or simply search the gallery for 'Kent' ...

Will

Mark Kerr

Thanks Will, Bill and I have compared collections this summer... he won obviously! Nice to see more Kent ones, I'll add a couple of mine (not mine, but those I look after in the library) soon (ones that even Bill doesn't have, hopefully...).

wilfb

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that.  I know that Bill has worked extremely hard getting hos collection on-line.  Great to see such enthusiasm...

Looking forward to seeing more of Kent!

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk