News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Shortened Training courses.

Started by backman, July 30, 2017, 11:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I remember in the days of my training that if one had completed ones three year SRN you could greatly reduce the length of additional speciality training.I think it was 18 months for RMN and Maternity,and a year course for ONC and Intensive Care Nursing ,but I cannot find a record of these different training course lengths anywhere.The GNC and ENB did seem to have everything well sorted and it seems that it was almost the norm for nurses to proceed for SRN/RMN/Midwifery to other branches of training.Nowadays it seems so difficult ,particular if needing to self fund.can anyone point me in the direction of the relevent information?

myk1066

I under took RN Child from RGN, it was an 18month course, we were paid as D grade nurses on our salary & came out with a Diploma as well as RN Child.

wilfb

Hi.

I am away right now but can clarify all when we return (4 weeks!);  Meanwhile:-

RSCN first - three years; followed by SRN - two years; (1957 - 62).

SRN from RMN - 18 months.

RMNS from RMN 1 year - and vice versa.

There were several variations on the main themes - eg SRN in 12 months (conversion- wartime) and nursing assistants to SEAN/SEN with various end-dates. I will need my records to confirm, but will try to check my paper files here. As you say, all was very well organised - with perhaps the exception of nursing assistant training taking place (for state enrolment) whilst some nursing assistants could have gained direct enrolment on the grounds of their experience.  There were other 'grey' areas but it has to be acknowledged that the GNC did lay down exact guidelines.

If the topic is not clarified by others first, I will add when we get back.

Will.

backman

Thanks Will ,That sort of answers my original query which was triggered by a badge from Croydon Hospitals named and with a training date of 1968-69.I suspect for one such secondary training?

myk1066

Was it ever so that any SEANS with experienced, like NA's, were made up to SRN?

wilfb

Hi.

No, I believe not Myk.

Will.

* the SoN homepage contains the finding comments - which may be of interest:-

"All part of the still mushrooming growth of the NHS finding its inception in1948.  An NHS which was to cater for all.  Cradle to the grave. Not surprising then that since that beginning there had developed a plethora of nursing specialties, some sub-divided into highly specialized categories, all designed to meet particular needs. The nurses to meet those needs - General, Sick Children's, Mental, and Mental Subnormality Nurses, were, by 1974, being trained under the auspices of the General Nursing Councils. One for England and Wales; one for Scotland; and one for Northern Ireland.

'In 1974 there were 25 main qualifications which students of nursing studied and trained for. Which number did not include many highly specialized courses, including university degrees, followed consecutively and concurrently by basic course students and qualified nurses. Midwifery training has always been a feature'.... "

*Subnormality" is used in the context of 1974.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk