News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Badge sellers rational!

Started by myk1066, June 22, 2017, 11:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

Forgive my absence but am back to full time unpaid work babysitting grandchildren.
Just to clarify an earlier comment by Barry, yes the Ulster Museum do have a good collection of Irish nursing badges (indeed I even give them a few). However, since Tom Wylie (who worked there  and who had accumulated them over many years, as he had personal interest in them) retired over 10 years ago, the Ulster Museum has this collection in storage and despite my asking several times, they have no plans in foreseeable future to display them again. They remain "in storage". Effectively lost to the public.

Regarding my own collection, I have asked An Bord Altranais (Irish nursing board - same as GNC) if they would like them to display; But apparently not as they don't want them. I had some conversations with few lecturers from several Universities in Republic of Ireland but again they don't have any nursing archives. I did speak to one who who developing a nursing archive but they finding on "papers"; curriculum; and training records; they didn't see section for "badges" as important.

I did speak to local museum in my home county but again anything given to them becomes their property and they decide when, how or if any collection is displayed.

Like yourselves am still looking for good home for them
Eric

wilfb

Hello Eric,

A strange situation when 'experts' on nursing history see so little value in our badges.  The direct (and in all probability most lasting) link to nursing history.  Where else can one find the keys not only the hospitals which issued them but also the histories of the hospitals which issued them and the cultural diversity of lives in the surrounding areas - right down to the lives of the nurses who worked in therein?  Many examples of which are now being placed increasingly in the public domain via books, other publications, and, dare one suggest, sites such as ours? Woeful! 

But one can hope, and continue, like yourself and several other committed members, to seek wider dissemination of our history.  Our own membership continues to grow, slowly but regularly (now heading for the 650's), and the contributions - particularly of photographs must be second to no-one's.  All from that little seed planted 10 years or so ago by that small group of dedicated collectors.

Perhaps we can do more yet to spread the word - exactly how I am not sure, but there is a way - and we will find it!!

Keep those badges (and the attached histories) safe for a while longer Eric - it will be worth it eventually...

I would dearly love to hear the thoughts of others....

Will.

Ps. I once said to 'backman' that when/if I win the lottery I would buy all his badges and ask him to keep them for me!  Your collection has to be unique = keep it safe - I probably can't afford them all.!!

backman

Whilst I am sad to hear of the reluctance of official bodies to accept the donation of your collection Eric,I am not to surprised and it may not be a bad thing in the first instance. I do know of instances where items have been donated and later found to have been sold back on to the open market.many smaller museums are driven by the enthusiasm and interest of individuals and once they go items can be at risk.

backman

Although the RCN should be the natural repository for a national collection of Nursing badges and related items and they would gratefully receive any badges we choose to donate,I do have concerns.The fact is that the organisation is not without its own issues between its professional,educational and trades Union functions.The Archive is hampered by a lack of space in the main headquarters at Cavendish square and I believe, will continue to be based in Scotland with displays at HQ.The other limiting factor is their lack of in depth knowledge of the badges themselves and the context of their being issued and awarded in their many variations.This depth of knowledge probably lies in the collective of this group.
I have attempted to join the committee of the History of Nursing society in the past and there is another vacancy at the moment but I am probably just too busy to try again.I do feel that approaches should be made for a joint enterprise between the two groups for a display,possibly at Congress which is being held in Belfast next year?m

nursesue

it's not only badges but the other ephemera we collect  such as certificates and photos all important pieces of nursing history. I have recently got a rather large collection of photos, certificates and a collection from a nurse in the 1930s all for £3.99 which I think is ridicously cheap for such important paperwork ( Wilf which is the best way I can share this info with you all) but alas no badges
Has been a bit of an expensive month as many "must haves" have appeared on the market all at the same time but don't worry "outbid rage" meant I didn't get the recent Edinburgh City ........ maybe next time
did find this unusual paperweight on my travels
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTIQUE-TEMPERANCE-MOVEMENT-MALE-NURSES-CO-OPERATION-LTD-GLASS-PAPERWEIGHT-/182765337591?hash=item2a8da9bbf7:g:mysAAOSw5YNZutAO

wilfb

Hi Sue.

Re the best way....  The best way is to send electronic copies direct to me at webmaster@schoolsofnursing.co.uk    If you cannot copy/send let me know via me forum inbox and we will sort an alternative.  I would love to put your items on-line herein.

Best.
Will.

backman

Be careful what you wish for Will,I may actually get off my A*** and send you some of my prospectus booklets page by page.I too have a soft spot for the printed ephemera(def. Any transitory written or printed matter not meant to be retained or preserved. The word derives from the Greek ephemeros, meaning "lasting only one day, short-live) associated with Nursing,Health Care and Hospitals.From Certificates,some of which are works of art but annoyingly often too large to copy  easily,to examination papers and syllabus books  as well as snapshots.postcards,etc.I also collect the early photographic small Carte de Visite(CdV) and larger cabinet cards of nurses from the 1880s and 90s.As with all of these ,the problem is finding the time to record these appropriately.

i did note that the RCN has updated some of their history pages; https://www.rcn.org.uk/library/collections/special-collections

https://www.rcn.org.uk/library/collections/special-collections/badge-and-medal-collections

wilfb

Peter!!

Yes, time is a problem (especially after retirement!) and something none of us seems to have a lot of.  I simply photograph those very large items and use the resulting files to make things available.  But please don't get too enthusiastic - each item takes time once received. Plus keep it in mind - perhaps the National Lottery will donate cash for assistance if we can present a case for needing help.

My own day today has been spent in 34oC plus preparing a water feature (now up and running!!) and prepping' my workshop for winter... We now have visitors for the next month before we can say our time really is our own.  There are several more concurrent jobs to say nothing of the SoN badge project... But all will fit (I hope) by December - in time to board a 'plane back home for Christmas.  But meanwhile, a couple of days serious 'graft' then the visitors - then off to Venice for a week's break!!  Might stop off in Athens en-route back here - just a short break.

Gosh, life is hard - but best not to give it up!!

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk