News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Badge sellers rational!

Started by myk1066, June 22, 2017, 11:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Why do sellers list a badge at a certain price & when it doesn't sell they delist it at a higher price?  What's the rationale?

backman

From a sellers perspective,they have nothing to loose if they have free listing,as if it sells the increased commission will come out of the extra profit.As we know the same badge listed on two separate occasions can result in vastly differing prices.Unlike many of us on this site who may check eBay several times daily,many people seeking their lost SoN badge may not look on eBay from one year to the next and when two do at the same time a bidding war may ensue.I have reached the conclusion that there is no such thing a standard price for an item and sometimes have listed items which I have previously tried cheaply at a higher price ,only to see them fly!?!? What is the attraction of the 1952 Eastbourne badge that merits £128? A nice badge and seldom seen but £65-70 ,on a good day. Yet again any logic about scarcity,desirability,etc in relation to price goes out of the window once emotion kicks in.

backman

NOTE TO YOUNGER SELF (from older and possibly wiser self); When starting to collect nursing badges
1.Try not to let your heart rule your head when bidding on an item.Easier said than done but you may end up spending a lot of your collecting budget on an item which crops up next week at half the price.
2. Try and avoid personal rivalry with other collectors where possible.If you can try and reach a compromise on areas of interest so you both win now and again ,it may be better in the long term.
3.Don't buy with an eye to investment.Never pay more than you can afford.An item is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay and you may get a shock when you eventually sell.
4. We are temporary custodians of the badges in our collections .Try to honour and enjoy them but also consider what you may eventually like to do with them?
5.It is ,at the end of the day,only a badge .There is more important stuff in life,enjoy !

myk1066

wilfb

johnny4v

Very well put Peter. I often wonder what collectors intend to do with their collections and this may not be just badges. It would be interesting to hear from the membership what they are going to do with their collections as you say we are all only temporary custodians.

myk1066

I must admit I haven't a clue what I'll do with mine!

wilfb

Hi.

Same here.... But there must be something... A National collection perhaps...?

Will.

myk1066

I would agree to my collection going to a national collection.

barrysutton

The RCN supposedly has a national collection, however its virtually impossible to see and they don't know what they have, Jennifer McLaughlin left her collection to them.

myk1066

Such a shame really, the RCN should display them for all to see not just RCN members.  Maybe I won't bequeathe my collection to the RCN.

johnny4v

Why would anyone want to leave their collection to the RCN for it to be locked away in some cupboard in Scotland just like the McLaughlin collection. May be one of the enlightened Universities might see the need to collate a national collection and display it!

backman

Unless one of our members is as rich as Lord Ashcroft who endowed a facility at the Imperial War Museum to display his collection of Victoria Crosses(well worth a visit) then it is highly unlikely that the RCN,despite their good intentions,would have the space to put on a permanent display. They have gradually woken up to the interest and relevance of the badge in Nursing history and are generally very helpful but lack the knowledge and passion that many members have towards the genre.I am unsure if the Welcome Institute is any better resourced to do so,and whilst local museums would be grateful to accept the badges local to them I am not sure any others would be able to put them on display.I have pondered eventually donating my Welsh collection.Perhaps we need to raise the profile of the badge collectively and then see who might come around to the interest these might engender? I still think there ought to be a UK Museum of Nursing though to fully honor the role and contribution of all Nurses.can't see it happening though  :(

johnny4v

Alas Peter, none of us are as rich as Lord Ashcroft! I do wonder if one of our national museums would allocate a gallery to the History and Contribution of Nursing. I would have thought all of the nurse leaders in government and universities  would use their influences to get such established, or they are too busy working towards their own The Gong! It would be wonderful to have a UK Museum Of Nursing given the contribution of all Nurses as you say. I doubt that will ever happen which is sad. If the owners of all our badge collections could tell their stories what a rich tale that would be.

wilfb

Hi.

I would not donate to the RCN - badges that is - but am convinced that a national collection is possible.  But we do need to raise the profile of the whole issue. Preferably without starting a fire!

The question would seem to be 'how'....

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk