News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Nursing Associations & homes 1928

Started by backman, April 17, 2017, 11:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

The History of Nursing often reflects the need for nurses to band together to support and promote their own specific interest or Speciality.Some of these groups have gone on to become firmly established such as the RCN but many were in existence for relatively short periods.I recently picked up another edition of Burdett's Hospitals and Charities,this one dating to the 1920s.One large section covers Different Nursing Associations and Homes,many of which I had never come across so I thought I'd share a few.I'm not sure if any would have issued a badge but it may give us a clue as to what might be out there?
Here we go,and if anyone can fill in any details ,we would love to hear more? ;
Army & Navy Male Nurses' Co-operation-Welbeck St,Cavendish square.
Association for Promoting the Training and supply of Midwives (1903)
Church Army Mission Sisters' Training College(1887)
Cottage Benefit Nursing Association(1883)
Council for the Promotion of the Higher Training of Midwives(1904)
Lady Minto's Indian Nursing Association(1906)
Maternity Nursing Association(1897)
North London Nursing association for the Sick Poor(1877)
Nurses' Co-operation(1891)
Nursing Sisters Association (1840)
Nursing Sisters of the Poor
Society for Chartered Nurses(1896)

Interestingly it also lists a section on Retreats for Inebriety and Abuse of Drugs and Vaccine Lymph Establishments?
I know I am meant to be downsizing but I can't resist delving into aspects of History!

barrysutton

Lady Minto's Nursing Association definitely does have a badge as I have one.

myk1066

What is a vaccine lymph establishment?

myk1066

Is there an Association for Promting the Training & Supply of Midwives badge in the galleries?  A silver Maltese Cross badge.

wilfb

Hi.

I don't know myk - but I will certainly have a look and let you know if I find one.  Perhaps someone else might come across one...

Will.

backman

Indeed there is ,Plain silver Maltese Cross with Mercy,Pity,Truth and Love  on the four arms of the cross, Named to Helen Springfield 1920(recorded as living in Tulse Hill,Brixton)

wilfb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk