News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

MARSTON GREEN NURSES (MARSTON GREEN HOSPITAL)

Started by PatP, January 22, 2017, 10:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatP

Hi,

Web searching has led me to your site and the finding, taken from the badge design article by Sue Sullivan, has prompted this message.

"Marston Green Hospital was a Canadian hospital and the Canadian Maple leaf is on its design as well as on the Solihull school of midwifery. (I have 2 aunts who remember when the hospital was used by the Canadians and also it just happens to be the hospital where I was born - alas like many others no longer there).

Reference note: 'built in 1938 and used by the Canadians until the end of WW2 - known as the 19th Canadian General Hospital. It became the Marston Green Maternity hospital & Hospital for women in 1948 - one of the earliest opened under the newly founded NHS.
Midwifery training began in 1950." ..............

I would very much like to get in touch with Sue Sullivan, is she a member here?

My sister and I are trying to find out more about our mother who died in 1967 when we were very young, our father never spoke about her (as was often the way back then) and when he passed away a few years ago, we were left knowing little about the woman who gave birth to us. We do know that our mother was a nurse at MARSTON GREEN HOSPITAL during the 1940's (we have an autograph book from her time there) and in her article Sue Sullivan mentions she has aunts that remember the hospital - It's a long shot, but they could have been at MG at the same time as our mother?

Also having discovered this site, I would like to ask the question, is there any way of tracing the training records for nurses who trained back in the 1940's period?

A name to work on: Mary Ellen Cremin, originally from Cork, Ireland.

The search for information about our mother has been fuelled by a photograph taken in New Jersey, December 1945 and found by chance on the internet - intriguingly we have discovered the photograph is held in the archives of the New York Daily newspaper. The woman on the right in the photograph we believe to be our mother, but why she is in New Jersey we know not. She is a nurse at the time, are the other ladies nurses? ... would nurses of that time have a reason to be in this part of the world? Any information or suggestions welcome.

Unable to insert photograph, but have added as an attachment ...... no that hasn't worked either! ..... it's in the gallery!!

Sorry, I have rattled on a little - thanks for reading.

PatP

I was able to upload my photograph in the gallery area in the "people" section: titled - "New Jersey Nurses? (Marston Green)".

backman

Hello Pat,Welcome to the site and I hope that between us we may be able to help.
As far as training records are concerned,what survives is down to luck for any specific training school or hospital. Although not exhaustive,the list of many holdings of Hospital Records  can be found here;http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/search.asp

This of course relies upon knowing what hospital she actually did her training at,was it in Ireland or at Marston Green? There are now many records of Nursing and Midwifery training available on the Ancestry.co.uk.There are several Mary Cremins listed (but only one Mary Ellen Cremin who's training would have been too late to have been your mum). One is from Newmarket County Cork registering in 1947 for General Nurse Training from Victoria Hospital Accrington,might this be her? Another at a similar date was from Crosshaven,County Cork.

Sue is indeed one of our members and I'm sure will try and help as best she can.

Thanks

PatP

Thank You backman ............. great to get a swift response.

Tried the national archives search - database seems not to know about Marston Green!!

Thanks for the M E Cremin search - yes dates seem too late.

I have uploaded more photos to the People Gallery, although they don't show at the moment. Any comments relating to these photographs would be most welcome.

Please let me know if I am using your forum in a way that it was not intended to be used.

*Hello Pat. Welcome... The photographs are now in the galleries (People).  I could try to upload them here if you wish? Will.

nursesue

and here I am !!! albeit a long way from my brummie roots
not sure if this helps - you'll need to scroll down the page
https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-m/marston-green/

PatP

Thank You nursesue.

The link provides interesting reading about Marston Green.

Did you work at the hospital? Do you still have contact with your aunts that new the hospital?
Would you please take a look at the photos I have posted in the People area of the Gallery .... currently on page 4.
Do the photos reveal much to someone who may know about nursing history?
Can you, or anyone confirm that the photographs were taken at MG? The photos have been posted on other forums and someone suggested they could have been taken at Chelmsley Hospital (which was close to MG). This is not unlikely because Chelmsley Hospital was a type of psychiatric (sorry if my terminology is not accurate) hospital and we know our mother worked in this field.

backman

Chelmsley Hospital was originally Marston Green Cottage Homes before it was changed to what we now call a Learning Disabilities Hospital (but had originally been called Mental Defectives) The architecture doesn't look to be right for that so I would think it unlikely to be there. see;http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Birmingham/

In reality Hospital architecture in the UK tended to be used in very similar styles during a particular time frame.Thus it can be very difficult to identify a specific location from the design of building alone.I have several hundred hospital pictures and many are very very similar to each other,Sorry!

backman

As far as your photo which may be 1943 or 1946 is concerned I would suggest the latter as there do not appear to be any wartime taped windows or sandbags which I would expect to see in a 1943 picture

nursesue

have also studied the photos and have to agree with Pete. My aunt is no longer with us and the only thing my mom said was it snowed the day you were born!!!

PatP

A little nursing history ....... words and names on the pages of my mothers autograph book. Marston Green 1940's.
Hopefully help someone searching for names.

More in the People Gallery (and a few more to follow - my photos taken in landscape upload, but those taken in portrait will not).

When I try to use the insert image button to insert an image into this message - nothing happens!
When I try to copy and paste an image into this message - nothing happens!

I will have a go at attaching my image to this message.

PatP

Attachment worked!!

Note: Bottom left hand corner 19th Canadian General Hospital!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk