News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Queen's Institute of District Nursing

Started by backman, November 22, 2016, 02:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I used to have an article which detailed the different types of Queen's nurses badges( Bronze,silver,gold,miniature ,pendant,enamel,etc).However I cannot find it so I wonder if anyone might have a list? Thanks

myk1066

Now that would be an interesting read, briefly does anyone know why gold ones were issued?

wilfb

Hi.

I think that I have had a similar read too Peter - but I can't remember where! I will search and let you know if I find it.

The gold badge were issued for 25 years service (though there may be other reasons), although I have a (hallmarked) gold for 21 years service which I don't think was usual.

Will.

myk1066

I know 1or 2 were sold on ebay recently & I think they were both for 21 yrs service.

backman

wilfb

Hi.

'Bodes evil'.

I have an email relating to district nursing which I am hoping to publish in the next news page...  Without saying more right now it seems that some of us still hold our district nurses in very high regard - in my own case for more years than I am prepared to admit.  My district nurse was also a midwife. She delivered me - I think that cost my parents 5 shillings (!); She was also the school nurse right up to the time I left school carrying out all developmental assessments; doling out ur vaccinations; etc etc.  Most of all she was present in our community, pushing her bike and greeting all by name!

Where are they now I wonder, and, finding Peter's perhaps prophecy, where will they be if things go badly for them as a specialty?....

Will.

myk1066

I think I saw something in the NT, within the last few days, that DN could be extinct within the next 20-25 yrs!

wilfb

Hi.

Or perhaps much earlier.... Mr Hammond needs money!

Will.

Dianne

In 2013 an analysis of the QNI badges was completed by Dr Susan Cohen in collaboration with a U3A group.  Until 1961 Queens nurses were required to return their bronze badges when they left their post. This no doubt explains a lack of badges to 'buy'. The project was publicised to coincide with the QNI's 125 year anniversary.  I understand that many of the badges are now with the Welcome Museum, so that is probably a good place to start a search for an idea of the different types of badge which existed.  There will celebrations next year, with on-line publicity as the QNI reaches 130 years.

backman

Thanks Diane, I was aware of the U3A project and I know that Susan is in the process of producing a book on the history for next year which I await with interest.I always feel that the Queen's Nursing and District Homes badges are under collected which is a shame as they are a finding part of our History

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk