News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

conundrum and help needed please

Started by nursesue, December 10, 2016, 08:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

I recently acquired a set of badges which included 3 Welsh badges all belonging to same nurse Not unusual except the hospital badges are slightly different with same dates
the brass version is dated October 1967
the chrome is dated October 1967
the GNC is dated November 1967
the name is NEA Thomas SRN
any help appreciated

backman

I did think that one of these may have been a prize badge but ,from memory that takes the form of an eight pointed maltese cross? This lady is Nora Elisabeth Anne Thomas,SRN 388499 and interesting she undertook her training at two institutions; Winfield Morris Orthopaedic Hospital Oxford. and the East Glamorgan Hospital Pontypridd;https://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/31178952200/

nursesue

thanks for the info but if she'd done her ortho elsewhere then wouldn't she recieve a badge from them I was wondering if perhaps she'd started her SEN training and progressed to SRN I did see the prize badge but neither of these say its awarded as a prize badge

backman

Not necessarily Sue, The number of Nurses who started their training in one place and transferred to another training school is surprisingly more common than we might think.Most would only receive the badge of the Final training school.
As far as receiving two badges is concerned my own mother did her SRN training and passed her final hospital exam entitling her to a hospitals SRN badge,but she failed her States and eventually became a SEN and then also received the Hospitals SEN Badge( I have them both). I suppose it is possible that this nurse trained as a SEN and having qualified proceed to do a further period of training before gaining her SRN but I would have expected to find her entered onto the roll for the relevant year.I will try and find her there if I can.

nursesue

thanks for that just love a good mystery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk