News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

SoN News Page

Started by wilfb, October 16, 2008, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

Wonderful as usual, especially the article on belt buckles, I have further info I can let you have on this subject.

barrysutton

Further info regarding Belt & Belt Buckles, if you require scans of any please advise, Royal Australian Army Nursing Corps, National Examining Board for Dental Nurses, Q.A.R.N.N.S. Nursing sisters W.W.1 suede belt, Q.A.R.N.N.S. Off's gilt Qc Buckle, Q.A.R.N.N.S. chrome O/r's. The Queen's Institute of District Nursing exists in both Wm & blackened Wm. There is also a R.A.M.C. chromed stable belt + buckle, the R.A.F. male nurses wore the R.A.F. stable belt and buckle.
The 1937 buckle is from the U.S.A., also there are belt buckles for the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and The Royal Canadian Army Dental Corps.
There are belt buckles for The St. Andrews Ambulance Corps, The B.R.C.S., St. John's Priory for Wales, Order Of Malta Ambulance Corps, St. J.A.B. Cadets, St. J.A.B., German Red Cross, German Army Medical Corps, all these organisations have had nurses in them.
All the best,
ODPBarry

wilfb

Hi Barry.

Yes please - anything you have.  As you know all is valued and will hopefully be used constructively. When I started the article I had no idea we would find so many. Perhaps a part 2 is needed - or an extension of the original?

Your original help Is much appreciated.

Very Best,
Will

backman

I have found another SoN issued buckle which I had heard of but never seen.Only a picture I'm afraid as the owner, quite rightly intends to hang on to it! It dates form the amalgamation of the the University College Hospital and the Middlesex Hospital schools of Nursing into the Bloomsbury College of Nurse Education in the late 1980s and combines the emblems from the two separate buckles.

wilfb

Hi Peter,

Any chance of a copy & permission to add to our SoN page?

Will.

wilfb

Hello to all.

Our main site news page for January 2019 is now on-line. You can reach it simply by clicking the site 'Newspages/SiteNews' link at the top of the page - or right here:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

Hopefully, there something of interest to all - our website progress and news of our progress with an uploadable photo gallery (unchanged for this news) for registered members of this forum (all of whom will have space automatically allocated), plus news of the designer of the 'unknown' designer of the Sussex Downs School of Nursing badge and a gifted badge from Birkenhead School of Nursing.  Illness and bad weather has caused problems this time but there is something for your enjoyment - we hope - Enjoy!

WB.

wilfb

Hello and Greetings.

The Site News...

Once more 'Collectors Corner' rules the day - with a free Birkenhead SoN pin badge!; Myke1066 long awaited update to his gallery... ; A 'Photograph from the past' - Royal Victoria Hosp' Belfast PTS 1951- we need names if possible; Two very nice Solihull badges from 'nursesue'; A good read overall... Enjoy!

Best Regards,

Will.

myk1066

Can I just say what a brilliant job re my gallery, I'm suitably impressed.  Can I ask do you adjust the light as I know the depth of the blue felt varies according to the light in my house when I take the photos?
Again a job well done.
Thanks
Mike.

wilfb

HI Mike.

Many thanks for that, sincerely.

But - would if I could but I can't!!  I would need a real sample of the background before I could get that right... And then, the light in my house would vary... I can say that there is much more that could be done with the badge photographs all round, but unfortunately I just don't have the time right now.

Maybe when we reach the 'Book' stage...

Thanks again for your observation.

Will.

myk1066

Again I'm impressed, it does look good.
Thanks
Mike

wilfb

Hi.
And welcome to the 49th issue of SoN news _ August 2019.

www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

As usual much work has gone on in the background to bring readers what is perhaps an exceptional issue.

Our articles have been extended/updated.  Our galleries developed further. 'Collectors Corner' is worth a special look with our newly acquired Bart's belt  buckle, to say Nothing of the Royal Victoria hospital (Belfast) additions by member  'eric' and associated gallery photographs, plus two superb Scottish badges from n 'nursesue'.  Special mention of our Ann Braddick's nursing history - a good read with a link in the news - or here if you've missed it:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/Collections59.htm

And also the already started Barry Suttons gallery for next time....

Editing this page has been difficult .  I seem to have had the easy part.  Our  thanks to all contributors - and especially to our Tech' Admin 'adrianb' without whom none would have been possible.

Enjoy the read,
Will.

Sarah Rogers

I've just enjoyed looking at the buckles article, food for thought. Some of the non organisation specific Victorian and Edwardian buckles may not have been worn by nurses- my great grandmother gave me a special one when I qualified, which I wore in intensive care- but she was not a nurse- we have pictures of her wearing it in her school photos.

backman

I agree Sarah, I believe most of the Victorian and Edwardian buckles seen and sold as "Nursing buckles" are likely to be fashion items of the time,a few of which may perhaps have found their way into uniforms of the period.The evidence of such buckles being worn as part of a uniform, on photographic Cabinet cards and Carte de Visit of the 1880s-1910 is very limited. In fact that do not seem to appear widely until the late 1950s onwards, perhaps reaching their peak in the 1970 and 80s? Many of the earlier fashion buckles were recycled as Nursing pieces and the practice of gifting them seems to have found a whole new market for earlier buckles.The fact that new buckles were manufactured to meet demand shows in the appearance of hallmark dates from the 1970s onwards and advertisements in the nursing journals of the day. I have found few hallmarked buckles at all dating between 1914 and 1960 which may indicate a lack of such demand? Clearly a lot more information required but perhaps yet another nursing myth to be debunked?
Oh and as for the buckles consisting of full plated links I have never seen any such buckle being worn in  confirmed nurse photograph, being impractical to the nth degree. What I do seen what I believe to be Mental Nurse pictures are which leather belt to support the weight of the large numbers of keys for locked wards. Will try and add supporting pictures when I can

wilfb

Hi.
And welcome to the 50th issue of SoN news - October 2019.

Our last issue (August) was perhaps an exceptional issue.  This issue 50th may surpass the 49th!

Our articles (particularly 60 ( http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/Collections60.htm ) -nursing buckles) been updated. 

'Collectors Corner' is worth another special look - our newly acquired St Thomas' belt buckle photographs - perhaps a first!

To say Nothing of the continued Royal Victoria hospital (Belfast) additions by member  'eric' and associated gallery photographs, plus two more superb Scottish badges from 'nursesue'.  Special mention of our Ann Braddick's nursing history - a good read with a link in the news - or here if you've missed it:-

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/Collections59.htm

And also the already started Barry Suttons gallery for albeit delayed for next time....

Editing this page has been difficult again because of technical issues.  I again seem to have had the easy part.  Our  thanks to all contributors - and again especially to our Tech' Admin 'adrianb' without whom none would have been possible. We hope that all will be resolved by our next issue - which again you may look forward to as something very special - promise! It will be our 51st...

Enjoy the read,
Will.

wilfb

Hi.
And welcome to the 51st issue of SoN news - December 2019/January 2020.

Our last issue (50 - October 2019) was perhaps an exceptional issue.  This issue 51st may surpass the 50th!

Our articles (particularly 60 (http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/Collections60.htm)  nursing buckles) has again been updated. 

'Collectors Corner' is worth yet another special look - our newly acquired St Thomas' belt buckle photographs - is no longer a first - Santa very kindly delivered me another for Christmas 2019!

To say nothing of two more superb Scottish badges from 'nursesue'.  And there is (perhaps confusingly!) "News Page 51" - not really a back number but an explanation of how and why the site originated - plus where it is now. A good read perhaps....

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Collections1/Collections62.htm

And also the already started Barry Suttons gallery - albeit delayed again for lack of time....

Editing this page has remained difficult because of technical issues.  I again seem to have had the easy part.  Our  thanks to all contributors - and again especially to our Tech' Admin 'adrianb' without whom none would have been possible. Thank you all..._

Enjoy the read,
Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk