News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

SoN News Page

Started by wilfb, October 16, 2008, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

Excellent as usual and early, many congratulations Will and thanks! Really interesting articles Sarah, hard work appreciated and hope Uni going well.

Sarah Rogers

Thanks, its distance learning which is greatso I can balance my eneergy etc.. last term was Palaeography-rreading old writing, this terms is house history- I hope to do military history at some point..Sarah

nursesue

wilfb

Hi.

Two hours or so to the October 2014 News deadline - age seems to slow me down!?....

http://www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

Another bonanza (read 'still back-breaking!) The news page itself; Page 8 of Barbara Tyler's St Thomas Hospital Scrapbook; two new articles from our own Sarah Rogers; All the latter are worth a read - Eleanor Mason, nee Jasper, 1875-1938 - a superb badge set and history; Helen Waddell 1878-1949 - again with some nice badges and history; plus some early news about our finding first public photo gallery (photographs will not be up-loadable); Collectors corner - Red Cross medals from Athens; more superb Royal Worcester figurines; and a couple of nice military nursing group photographs...

All errors are my own. I hope that I find them before you do - but please do shout if you see any.   I will issue the general member emails tomorrow..

All the links are there and hopefully working correctly - if they don't please refresh your bowser before giving up - it often works!!

Applause is acceptable (if the product is worthy)!!

Very best for now, please enjoy,
Will.

backman

Thanks to Will,Sarah and all contributors,I will have another more leisurely read tomorrow

Sarah Rogers

Wel done Will- a good read, thanks,  Sarah

Magpie

Many thanks Will! As the well known technophobe of SofN I don't know how to put a little figure for clapping applause but please accept it.
I will be reading it again tomorrow when hopefully I will have recovered from "grandmother lag" - looking after my 7and 5 year grandchildren for a week is so tiring much as I love them!!
Took them shopping for some clothes, 7 year old needed vests and assured me she would be allowed crop top variety then threw wobbly when refused, I said to her "You can stand in your head and whistle God save the Queen but you're still not getting them " which has become the mantra for the 5 year old who is telling everyone one what I said with lots of giggles.

wilfb

Dear Magpie,

Your reply was worth a lot of serious clapping (we don't have suitable icons built in). We too have growing grandchildren (3 boys) and I have one daughter who is now adult.  But when she was younger she seriously offended me one evening. I asked her (without comment) to pass me a hard backed story book. Then struck her over the head with it!!! She never offended again, but would never pass me a hard-cover book!! I can remember sometimes giving my own mother a hard time when I was a child too.... But thanks again for relating that - it's a cold gloomy day and I enjoyed the laugh!

Will.

wilfb

Hi.

Well!! Missed the deadline again this time (by 1 day) & the pins and needles in my fingers at the time of the last news have once again become total numbness.... But - The Latest news - January 2015 - is now online here:-

But this time it has been a bonanza (but with unavoidable delays - apologies!) But here it is, the news page itself and no less than three new articles from our own Sarah Rogers/Will B/Tony Smith! All are worth a read.

All the links are there and hopefully working correctly - if they don't please refresh your bowser before giving up - it often works!!

Any errors are all mine, but please do tell me about them - nicely.....

Very best for now, please enjoy,
Will.

Magpie

Thank you so much Will, a really lovely read on such a finding cold day with a biting wind. (Envious of you in Crete!)
The three articles are such interesting reading - really interesting history from Sarah, finding postbox details from you and some real nostalgia reading Tony's career in nursing.
Seeing your Plymouth Village Nurse badge made my remember my role as a District Nurse in 1970, I was given one country patch and also an Army patch taking in Tidworth and Perham Down ( for anyone knowing the area). I was only working part time and supposed to do mornings only with 2 patches. I went to one old lady and introduced myself and she replied " Oh, you'm the new Parish Nurse then are you?" She told me that the old Parishes used to pay for a nurse and provide a house. Another 2 patients both had parrots finding loose which terrified me as I had been badly pecked by a parrot when I was little. It was usual for all of the stroke patients to be cared for in their old double beds always the furthest side away from you, no hoists at that time. I got called to the HQ to see the boss to explain why I kept crossing from Hampshire into Wiltshire so many times per day because apparently there was some charge for this cross county, she decided she would accompany me to show me how to be more efficient in travelling - after having been whizzed all over the place to do the diabetic injections and to meet up with colleagues to help with heavy patients plus coming out of an isolated cottage and having to get the peacocks off my car roof she decided that she would let me continue as before!!Happy days that didn't last so long as I became pregnant and at 7 months couldn't clamber over the beds!my daughter was only 3 months old when I started and I sometimes took her with me ( illegally of course) if my friend who looked after her couldn't for some reason. The baby was the best tonic for a lot of lonely people who were delighted to have a cuddle.

Sarah Rogers

Thanks Will- a good read, Sarah

eric

Well done to all 3 contributions. They make very interesting reading and the photos of Tony's career compliment the history extremely well. As for postbox, my postman certainly never has delivered such treasures in so short a period. Indeed if I get 7 or 8 a year (Irish) then I'd consider I was doing well. Recently was talking to someone who had few badges and while I haven't been able to obtain them, she did send me some photos (which I've put to gallery and which go into my "wanted" list of badges.
Thank you Wilf for your sterling work and to everyone for contributions on site (I've been a silent member of late).

Eric

Eric

wilfb

Hi.

The April News page went on-line a few minutes ago:-

There is a lot in here - including 3 new articles by Sarah Rogers.  And - at last - the first glimpse at our badge catalogue. This latter is the precursor to our open-access galleries. Plus mention of our finding book... A couple of nice photographs from the past; 'collectors corner' on wanted badges et al.

It's all in there and I hope that it will all meet with your approval and glowing accolades!!

Will.
Ps. I will send out the general newsletter tomorrow.

Magpie

Thanks as usual Will,looking forward to more interesting reading and to learn more about the subject we all love. Rosemary

backman

an excellent high standard as ever,congratulations to all concerned and thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk