News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Jubilee Medals/Long Service Medal

Started by myk1066, October 10, 2016, 02:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk1066

Not sure if this has been addressed before but does anyone think that nurses should be entitled to the Queens Jubilee Medals & should there be a recognised NHS long service award?  Other professions are awarded them, I do believe for honourable service & having 5yrs continuous service up to 6th Feb 2012 in the case of the Diamond Jubilee issue.
How would someone go about trying to get a NHS long Service award medal being recognised?

jock57

yes I think there should be some recognition of long service, a medal would be lovely ! it shows dedication and loyalty to nhs.
can you explain the issue of jubilee medals again please

wilfb

Hi.
I am not the best person to answer this and perhaps 'backman' our moderator, who is a little busy right now, will be able to enlighten us further in the near future.  I can , of course offer my own opinion. I would appreciate official awards of medals to nurses on Jubilee occasions, but if we are talking Royal Jubilee although they are a nice touch to our profession, I would much prefer to see more nurses honoured in the honours lists.  It seems a little lop sided to honour  (for example) footballers and other sportsmen and women, business people and entertainers (plus pop and soap opera stars) in the main lists whilst there are so many other, arguably more deserving people, who are never considered simply because no one puts them forward for honours. That may not say a lot for the leaders of our profession - unless of course they do put names forward which are later turned down.

Jubilee occasions would seem to offer a decent chance for honouring nurses, but I cannot but wonder what form a specific medal would take?

There are only a small number of Jubilee medals in our own galleries....

Will. 

backman

The basic issue of nursing staff who work across the NHS is one of their being valued,both by their employers and the broader public at large.All the signs are that the gradual erosion of both the professional and financial worth of nurses,particularly by this administration and the media,has led to a diminution of Nursing that many of us once knew when we started our careers.In a week when one report described nurses having to rely on Food banks and a likely review of Unsocial Hours payments then I can't see things getting better any time soon.
The danger of finding upon a long service medal,rather than rewarding nurses in real financial and working condition improvements is that it makes it seem that employers actually care although I am sure they would find it cheaper.Even the current Long Service awards have been greatly reduced in many trusts and pension provision will be considerably less generous for future retirees.

So(Rant almost over) most nurses deserve a medal for just doing their day job in todays climate but I think many would settle for a decent pay rise and being recognised for their contribution to healthcare. Apologies for the moan but even though we are no longer NHS employees,my wife and I rely upon the NHS and the dedication of it's staff on an all too frequent basis,so i feel much better for that!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk