News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service Reserve

Started by barrysutton, April 18, 2016, 09:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

Anyone who has one of these badges which has a number on the back that they currently can't trace, usually a number above 600, please advise as I am in contact with a man who has the 3rd roll of the badge holders and he's said he would be willing to look up any that anyone may have.

barrysutton

As a follow up to this my PCANSR badge which is shown on the SON site is number 844, which was issues to Lily Dawson on 12/Dec/1900, she trained at Launceton Hospital, Tasmania and whilst in South Africa served at No. 1 General Hospital, Wynberg.

Magpie

Will hunt out mine to get the number and let you know Barry.

myk1066

barrysutton

Hello,
The numbers for the badges you have for the a/m are on the SON site, there details are listed below:-
67 was issued to Gertrude JOHNSTON on 9 April 1897, she trained at the Royal Infirmary, Liverpool
94 was issued to Louise Eleanor Victoria ASMAM on 2 January 1900, she trained at N.W. London Hospital
216 was issued to Ethel A. HARMER on 29 January 1900, she trained at Guy's Hospital, London S.E.

I hope this info is of use to you.

backman

barrysutton

One more fact that has come to light, the last of the badges issued were on 25 February 1901.
All those who where issued badges went to South Africa and the P.C.A.N.S.R. was formally disbanded in 1907.

myk1066

I've amended the descriptions of my PCANSR badges, in the galleries, with info about the nurses, could make interesting research.

wilfb

Hi Barry,

Can you locate anything on badge number 883 ?

Will.

myk1066

Hi Barry.
I notice badge 19 was issued in May 1897 then again in October 1898, was this common & how can I find out why?  Also who was No1 issued to & was that re-issued at all?  What was the final badge number & date?
Regards
Mike

Sarah Rogers

Mike, you could look at Keiron's excellent Boer War Nurses site- the information will be on there.. Sarah

barrysutton

The date was 25/February/1901, however as regards the number it was above 882 but not more than 900.

myk1066

Was this badge originally worn on the collar or the Tippet/dress, I've seen pictures of it worn on the collar & tippet/dress.

backman

I'd say tippet,going by the majority of pictures I have seen. I have also had an original tippet with pre sewn holes matching up with the pin size of the badge.

myk1066

Thanks for that.  Is there a copy of dress regulations that anyone is aware of?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk