News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

nursing memoribilia

Started by nursesue, July 17, 2008, 03:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

just reading the latest news item from Wilf about certificates and exam papers etc.  One of the reasons I got into collecting nurse badges was trying to find a replacement for my old GNC SRN state badge - which i duly did and then the addiction to collecting and researching their history took hold!!!
I do still have my GNC SRN cert - a specially commerative one issued in the last days of the GNC. I still have both my SRN and ONC state certificates and the 2 hospital certificates, I even have my Joint Exam Board objectives of the course and certificates of Proficiency  booklet - all stored safely in my Nursing Profile folder. I can't quite belive that i started nursing 2/1/1978 -  where has the time gone???

sue   ;D

wilfb

Hi,

I seem to have missed this one. Maybe we need a new topic called 'Where has all that time gone?' Like Sue I have retained most of the most pertinent memorabilia of my nursing career. The letters of application, acceptances, practical syllabii, hospital and GNC badges, examination papers, entry cards et al - ad infinitesimo! Of photographs I have few. But there is another category of memorabilia which we all collect - the memories. Most of us collect those whether we want to or not - covering all the other categories.  Where did all that time go? Well,at some point it seems to come back full circle...

I started my career on the 27th October 1958. My first mentor was Mary Glass, an assistant Matron at the time. My mentor became my friend until her death more than 50 years later. She  attended my own wedding and, briefly, that of my daughter, so many years after our first meeting.  Shortly before she died, Mary, into her 91st year asked me 'Where did all the time go'?  My reply was simple - 'I think that we used it up Mary'... She laughed, delighted with the response. Delighted, I think, because I had learned another lesson - she already knew that!

The passing time becomes our history - the memorabilia help not only us to remember it, but remember those selfless people (and yes, the not so selfless too) who created our profession and it's history. Collecting the memorabilia helps preserve the memories and possibly enable later nurses to understand where we originally came from. The time, I am afraid, has to pass - but we can use it for the best. Be sure to pass the memories in order to bring the artifacts alive. 'Living History'...(Maybe I should have been a vicar!).

WB.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk