News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

RCN Centenary and HONS newsletter

Started by backman, March 21, 2016, 11:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilfb

Hi Peter,

A long route but yes, the link works perfectly....

Will.

backman

a review of the centenary exhibition;http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-journal/reviews/01042016-the-voice-of-nursing

There is also a virtual walk through on the RCN website but unfortunately the link doesn't work.There is a case that displays a map of the UK made up of Nursing badges,worth a visit if anyone is in the area and perhaps someone can take a picture?

Sarah Rogers

I have an RCN History Soc meeting in June, will try and remember!

backman

Sarah Rogers

Thanks- that is not the one which I am going to. I am going to the London and South east RCN History Soc branch meeting on 3rd June, ! I would not want to miss going oout on 8th June with my husband- it is our 25th wedding anniversary that day!

backman

Managed to drop by yesterday and took a few pictures which I've stuck on my Flickr pages in the first instance;  https://www.flickr.com/photos/backmanmal/

I will add a few on here later,although the quality isn't great it does illustrate a few things that may be of interest.Worth a look if anyone is nearby

Sarah Rogers

Thanks Peter, what  great way to display some of them. I will take my camera when I go in June!

myk1066

What would be the chances of getting individual pictures of the badges supplied by the RCN for inclusion on the SoN website?  Are the badges individual gifts to the RCN or part of a collection donated?

backman

I would have to say,probably slim? It is fairly obvious from the way this display was done that the RCN realises that badge collections are clearly of interest but it doesn't really know much about them.(From their holdings they could have included many more without recourse to non nursing,charity or button badges).There were a few glaring errors but on the whole their efforts must be applauded.
The RCN has major issues with copyright and ownership of their historical data which is fair enough when you think of just where and how things can end up being used.They are open about soliciting donations of items for their archives and still receive both individual and group donations of badges,(I believe the late Fran Biley's collection of Welsh items and Hospital postcards were donated by his wife,but when I enquired they were still to be catalogued)

nursesue

love the photos Pete and many thanks for sharing - a real plethora of oohs and aaahs and a "shopping list" of I'd really love one of them in my collection  :)

myk1066

The photos have clarified some things for me like the Royal Infirmary Blackburn badge, mine has Trained Nurse on it whereas the one from the RCN map doesn't, it's the blue Maltese cross variant.  Then there is the Booth Hall Hospital badge, a rose shaped badge, red enamelling with a blue circlet with the Manchester Coat of Arms to its centre.  I knew I'd seen them but they weren't in the SoN galleries and think I may have seen them in the old MSN galleries.
It's a shame the RCN hold the badges as I'm sure we as a group could display them for all to see and perhap get them photographed for the British Nursing Badges vol 2.
Like Sue there were ooos & aaaahs

Sarah Rogers

I think that RCN ARchives is the only place for them to be held! They are an archive, and were gifted to them. I will gift some of mine there and also to the RLHarchives- so that others can see them.

myk1066

Perhaps they are the best but they should make them accessible to all for viewing and not just in a display cabinet.  I'm sure Lizzie when you bequeathe yours you'd like others to be able to see them, not just in a display in a building that may be difficult to get to or having to be a member of say the RCN to be able to view them online.  I'd like to see them catalogued individually & displayed online for all to see.  Our members on here are far & wide & our badges are displayed for all to see so it's not beyond the realms of impossibility.

backman

Being Devils Advocate here,I sort of agree with both of you.
There is little doubt that the badges and medals associated with Nursing ,Hospitals and Healthcare are an integral part of their collective histories.Any display of such items usually generates considerable interest both inside and outside of the Professions and a deeper understand of them can help in understanding Nursing History.Unfortunately the background knowledge of the origin of the many different training school badges and insignia is often sporadic or sparse,much being lost with the shift to University education.
The RCN is ,and should be,the main repository for Nursing History(if not the only one) and as such the archive should be encouraged and supported.The problem is probably however one of resources in that the Archive is funded by the membership and has limited manpower to further our own aims of greater accessibility for study and research.Perhaps the first step is to look at our own pictorial archive and see if we can improve on the information we provide there. Perhaps then we can offer a credible collaborative resource for some joint working projects with the college in the future? Unfortunately I know that the college has had not completely positively results when doing so in the past!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk