News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Scotland's Super Hospital

Started by nursesue, November 07, 2015, 02:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nursesue

I have been watching the BBC Scotland documentary on the new Glasgow Hospital - the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital aka the Southern General Hospital. The numbers are staggering from floor space to costs - £1,000,000 just for a cardiac scanner.

I found myself drawn to the beauty of the now derelict hospitals that this new super structure has replaced. From the wonderful turrets to original light fittings i am wondering what will happen to these design icons ( I'm sure we'll find out later in the series). This hospital will one day be a design icon as the architects designed the adult hospital to represent the docks representing Glasgow's industry and the Childrens hospital is designed to be a ship at this dock
( and yes it does look like it from an aerial view)

Staff are moving from cramped 19th century wards to those of individual en suite 21st century rooms. the Respiratory unit has been enlarged to cope with the country's biggest problem of lung disease and large numbers of asbestos related lung disease

But for all the facts and figures - eg a jumbo jet will fit into the atrium and it being the country's largest  and newest NHS hospital with an equally staggeringly large catchment area- it's still plagued with problems Only yesterday a patient died on a trolley in a corridor and the longest A&E waits all of which this new hospital was supposed to stop.

The sadness of the staff is clear to see as the old wards and departments are closed and moved. It was also nice to see the nurses wear there hospital badges with pride ( and yes i did try and identify the badges)

All in all worth a watch and am looking forward to part 2 as they move the kids from Yorkhill to this new hospital

backman

Looks interesting ,I will give it a watch(in between Stripping wallpaper and sanding paintwork!)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06mz5bv/scotlands-superhospital-episode-1

nursesue

thanks for the link Pete -it really is worth a watch between household chores x

Magpie

Just watched it,thank you Sue and Pete, really amazing. Like Sue I know we have to move forward but there was something special about the old hospitals,the architecture, stories,discoveries and people involved with them. Has always been my aim to get the books related to the hospital badges or to research them. Trouble is my bookcase is so full with books double parked! Our little Community Hospital, The Andover War Memorial Hospital was built on land gifted from a gentleman who had lost both of his sons in WW1, the people of the town all contributed and it was designed by the architect who designed Guildford Catherdal. Then of course we had the Andover Workhouse ( later St Johns Hospital) which has gone down in history as the scandal of the Andover Workhouse and yes, it certainly had a ghost.

Magpie

Episode 2 now on IPlayer. Lots of teething problems but main problem seems to be lack of awareness of number of elderly patients needing admission, would have thought that before the amalgamation of the 3 hospitals someone would have taken on board numbers/categories of patientsusing original hospitals and percentages of those needing beds!!

nursesue

yes agree part 2 was good and the answer to their question does 4 go into 1  is a resounding no. Its still plagued with problems and constant breaches of the 4 hour A&E wait. What a waste of money is the re-signing as they change the hospitals name  ( still causing contravarsy amongst the staunch Scots).

Some of the old wards at the other hospitals have been reopened to make more bed space and we still haven't hit a harsh Scottish winter and the added debate about turning non-emergency/and non fractured limbs away from most of the Scottish A&Es.
The new hospital was built at £1billion to stop this Yes as with any move there are teething problems and the Yorkhill move is by far the smoothest transition (once they found the keys to open it!).

Love the design of the race track and decorations of the Royal Children's hospital - again re-named as "sick kids" is old hat.......

Nearly everyday we hear of problems in the media of this flagship hospital but I wouldn't mind a wander round just to see how big it is.

Magpie

Yes agree with you Sue, would be amazing to walk around. Can Understand people getting angry re the re-signing, what a waste of money! I'm off to hospital again tomorrow for epidural and nerve block under sedation, not looking forward to that. This must make my back better!! How's yours doing?

nursesue

still sore and still in pain Awaiting MRI results Am so thinking of refering myself to Noel Fitzpatrick aka the supervet Lovely bedside manner and no waiting Such a shame I'm a human. Good luck for tomorrow Thinking about you xxx

wilfb

Hi.

The link works fine Sue. But, yet again, what can one say.....

"Scottish Labour public services spokesperson Jackie Baillie said: "This expert report is utterly damning on some aspects of patient care, and yet again we are seeing concerns about staffing."

It just should not happen.  Perhaps I mean 'should not be allowed to happen'

Will.

nursesue

for those of you who followed this post just thought you'd like to know there are 3 more episodes to watch at 9pm on BBC Scotland - am almost sure you'll be able to watch on the I-player if you're south of the border

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk