News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Sheffield Union Infirmary

Started by backman, August 20, 2015, 07:11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

i have had an enquiry,posted below, and wonder if anyone can help?

Hope you can help me.

I'm with the Sheffield Historical Hospitals group based at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield. We are planning a permanent history display showing how the hospital has changed since its early days as a Workhouse covering the three eras of change. We have badges for the hospital from when it changed its name in 1930 to the Fir Vale Infirmary & the City General Hospital and again in 1967 when it became the Northern General Hospital.

Prior to those dates the Workhouse was also divided in 1906 to become Fir Vale Institution and the Sheffield Union Hospital whilst still being a Workhouse. The Guardians had established an early training school in 1882 for nurses and also a midwifery school in 1887.

My query is, have you ever come across a Sheffield Union Hospital badge? 

It would be lovely to have a photo of one to display if they do exist. We do have certificates relating to that era and quite a few early photos. 

Hope to hear from you soon.
Lyn Howsam
Volunteer
Sheffield Historical Hospitals Group

wilfb

Hi.

No luck with that but I did find the finding on Sally Bosleys badge site:-

'WW1 Sheffield Royal Hospital, 1915 Hallmarked Silver Nurses Badge.

A scarce First World War silver nurses hospital badge, maltese cross suspended from a title bar 'Sheffield Royal Hospital', the reverse bearing Birmingham silver hallmarks for 1915 and maker's details "MH&CoLd" (Martin Hall & Co Ltd). Good condition, retaining original pin fittings, maltese cross hangs a little lopsided.
Height 36mm.

There is an interesting video film of the 'Sheffield Royal Hospital' shot in the hospital's centenary year of 1932.
Address below.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x88770_sheffield-royal-hospital_creation#.UMqux7ZtWP8'

I hope that I will not be seen to advertising And hope that this may be useful.

Will.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk