Author Topic: Belt Buckles  (Read 7164 times)

backman

• Happily Retired Nurse,Nursing History Devotee!
Belt Buckles
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »
I recently missed a silver buckle on EBay which featured St George finding the dragon.It had a similar appearance to the St George's badges and I just wondered if this was yet another hospital which also issued a buckle? The lovely Royal Masonic Hospital buckle in the albums is another and I believe there was also a Middlesex/UCH one too?

wilfb

• Administrator
Re: Belt Buckles
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »
Hi Peter,

Yes, the Royal Masonic buckle is something else again isn't it? If you ever get one for sale put me down (colloquial expression!) for the first - please give me first refusal.

I wonder, thinking about a further article - just how many buckles we can discover?

Will.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:41:50 PM by wilfb »

nursesue

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 09:51:00 PM »
theres a D/N one on at the moment I have an United Birmingham hospital one Isn't there a great ormond st one as well?

myk1066

• Nursing since 1986, collector of nursing badges
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »
I have a Great Ormond Street buckle & the Glsgow Pelican.

barrysutton

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:42:35 AM »
This isn't a complete list, they exist as follows: R.A.M.C., R.C.A.M.C., R.A.A.M.C., R.Naval nurses, Q.A.R.A.N.C., Moorfields, District Nurses X 2 variants, Westminister Hospital X 2 variants, Dental Nurses, St. Helier,
R.V.H. Belfast, Royal Masonic Hospital, Great Ormond Street, London Hospital, a fretted belt buckle with R.A.M.C. (V) collar badges & a suede belt for a Naval Nurse (W.W.1).

Sarah Rogers

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »
HI, do you have a picture of the LH one Barry please? We were not alowed to wear them- only ITU and ? midwifes wore belts.... thanks Sarah

Just added one to your last post on the topic here Sarah. W
Click photo to enlarge/reduce
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 03:26:56 PM by wilfb »

caro7b

• Nursing since 1978
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 08:46:47 PM »
Just looked on line for picture of Royal Masonic Hosp buckle (sadly I don't have a buckle) but I do have glorious brochure from its 1946ish build. Terrible on line argument concerning rights and wrongs of not just purchasing but WEARING other hospitals buckles/ badges. I am at fault cause V occasionally when I am finding vain I wear one to work that's not mine. I always regarded it as honouring the memory and history of those who have gone before us, as I do the accumulation and interest in Nursing Memorobilia, but some people are vehemently opposed. For instance I sold Poppies this Armistice and I took a VAD badge with me because I felt it was an ok, if sentimental thing to do. Opinions any one else?

wilfb

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »
Hi Caroline.

I am not sure whether you have the Royal Masonic buckle photograph (there is one in the gallery) but just in case I have placed one below.

Clicking the picture enlarges the image. Clicking the enlarged reverts it to original size - but then you probably know that!

Will.

Ps. No I don't think you actions vain - and my brother-in-law spends many hours every year selling poppies for the British Legion - a very worthy cause.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:05:15 PM by wilfb »

johnny4v

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
St Georges Hospital London issued a silver buckle (just like the one recently sold on Ebay) to nurses who trained there and staffed at the hospital for one year after qualifying. Hope this help Peter.

backman

• Happily Retired Nurse,Nursing History Devotee!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »
Many thanks for that info, it did look rather nice.Perhaps next time!

caro7b

• Nursing since 1978
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 03:29:20 PM »
That is a lovely buckle :)

Magpie

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 11:02:47 PM »
Hi Sue
Could you do a photo of the United B'ham buckle please? As you know I'm a QE nurse so very interested.
Best wishes, Rosemary

nursesue

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 08:52:38 AM »
hi  - it's already on If you go to gallery and type united birmingham into search it should come up Its really nice and i probably paid over the odds but just had to have as I've never seen one before.

Hi Sue. Trust that you will forgive the intrusion - I added the United Birmingham Hospital buckle here too for you. W

Click image to enlarge/reduce size.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:06:53 PM by wilfb »

Sarah Rogers

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
HI thanks- is that not a UCH belt buckle above-? will go into galleries also..thanks S

wilfb

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »
It is indeed a Sarah - UCH belt buckle -  requested by Barry.  Can we perhaps get a closer 'fit' (excuse the pun!).  Is there a specific one for 'The' London?

Will.