News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

1945 Handbook for Student Health Visitor

Started by Magpie, November 08, 2014, 09:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magpie

Have just received this and have to share some of it with you as it is so evangelical!!

"First you have to realise that you are no longer a little goddess in a beautifully well- ordered ward or operating theatre; but a young woman who is setting out to help the mothers of the nation to make the best of what is too often a very bad job indeed.  You are now a servant of the public,
And you have one of the noblest as well as one of the hardest tasks in front of you.  It is only by the hammer, hammer, hammer on the high road of prejudice, laziness and ignorance that we shall reach the fringe of the green pastures of beauty and health. Before you set out on this arduous journey let us consider what equipment you will need if your pathway is to be the way to success.
I think this equipment consists of Knowledge, Sympathy and Long Patience".
From another chapter entitled "The value of praise"
" Women don't get much praise you know. The constant washing, cooking and cleaning, even if not very well done, is still constant, and it is still taken for granted. Blame abounds if things go wrong, but praise is rare. It is for you then to bring into the homes this little encouraging tribute. If it is only a picture of her wedding group on the wall, you can admire it. After that, when she feels you are a woman as well as a nurse ( a little boy said that to me in my hospital years -- " Are you a woman as well as a nurse?") when that is done, you can go on to other less pleasant subjects.
Don't be afraid of lowering those high standards.  Standards were made for man and not man for standards. Pay a compliment, admire something, and you will leave behind you a sense that perhaps effort is worth while after all. Also, you will have left the door open for your next visit."
And so it goes on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk