News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Asylums for the Insane

Started by barrysutton, November 06, 2014, 12:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrysutton

Currently in England Broadmoor, Rampton and Ashworth are all the Asylums for the criminal insane, I know that Broadmoor only has men inmates, where are women housed and what is the provision for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Magpie

Hi Barry
I've found a lot of relevant info on Wikipedia. I was a bit puzzled last night when they said last night there were no women patients as I spent a day visiting Broadmoor in 2004 and then one of the wards I visited was a female one. However it says women were transferred to a new service in Southall in 2007, a few were sent to Rampton national high secure unit and a few elsewhere.
Rampion provides national services for those with a learning disability, women and deaf men. It also has the only remaining DPSD which is dangerous and severe  personality disorder unit.
I take my hat off to all who work in these secure hospitals as it seemed so volatile there. I also had to visit a medium secure unit many times and that scared me. I had to have a member of staff with me wherever I went including unlocking the toilet door and standing outside. (All whilst working as an RCN Officer).
Rosemary

backman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk