News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Guys Hospital Sisters Long Service Medal

Started by backman, November 04, 2014, 09:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Recently acquired one of these as part of a set and wondered if anyone knew the criteria for award? It really is a big beast,affectionally known as the Tea pot stand because of it's size.I have seen it is based upon an early clip on belt badge from the hospital but don't know when it was re-instigated as a long service item.The nurse recipient of this particular award trained at Sheffield from 1947-51 and the medal bears her name and the date 1956.I don't know if this means that the medal was awarded for 5 years? By 1960 her address,in the Nurses League Handbook & Register, was given as County Cork.

Dianne

In  'A Short Account of Nursing 1725-1968' and published by the Guy's Nurses League, mention is made of a tradition established in 1947 whereby Sisters signed their contracts and received a Sister's Medal, a replica of the old Guy's medal.  The tradition continued and once the Ward Sisters successfully completed their 6 months trial they signed their contract in the presence of the House Committee.  On completion of 3 years, they received their Sister's Medal.
During my time at Guy's in the mid 1970's the award of a real teapot stand was made to those who had completed 10 years service, I don't remember what was awarded for any longer periods.

Hope this helps,

Dianne

backman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk