News:

Hello and welcome. This is the bulletin Board of 'www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk'. The board is open.
New members are very welcome. Please join - Register to use the forum.
Advertising is not acceptable.
Photo Gallery Link - www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/gallery
Latest Website News www.schoolsofnursing.co.uk/Newspages/SiteNews.htm

'The Dining Room' is open to forum members only. REGISTRATION - OPEN 24/7

MAY 2023 News is online now (Link above). MAY ONLINE NOW!

PLEASE NOTE - DRAG & DROP GALLERY PHOTOGRAPH UPLOAD NOW AVAILABLE

Main Menu

Ask Matron-Order of the League of Mercy

Started by backman, June 04, 2014, 04:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

Does anyone know the category of people award this medal? I have always supposed it to be administrators,worthies or fund raisers for the Voluntary Hospitals,issued between 1899 and 1946?

Magpie

Peter - I have emailed you with info as didn't know how to transfer a link to here. Rosemary

barrysutton

This medal was reinstituted in 1999, the finding may be of some use,
Order of the League of Mercy 1898
Ribbon, 38mm watered white silk with a central broad band of black
Metal 1898 - silver, 1999 - silver-gilt,
Description, an enamelled red cross surmounted by the Prince of Wales's plumes enfiladed by a coronet with a central medallion depicting the emblem of the League, a group of figures representing Charity, set within a laurel wreath.
1999 version, a silver-gilt cross with the emblem in a central medallion, reverse a circular plaque inscribed League of Mercy 1999 in four lines.
Who awarded to:- Appointments to the Order are sanctioned and approved by the sovereign on the recommendation of the Grand President of the League of Mercy as a reward for distinguished personal service to the League in assisting in the support of hospitals. Ladies and Gentlemen who rendered such aid for at least 5 years were eligible for the award. In 1917 King George V instituted a bar to those who already had the medal for continuing to serve. The original Order was last awarded in 1946 and the League ceased to exist as of 1947.
In March/1999 the League was re-established and today it awars silver-gilt medals for valuable service, about 150 have been awarded since 1999.

myk1066

I've posted a picture of my League of Mercy medal in the gallery.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk