News:

The forum and gallery have both been updated to their latest versions, so some things may look different or act slightly differently -- hopefully nothing important!

Main Menu

Inaccurate Auction Listings

Started by backman, May 18, 2014, 10:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backman

I think that due to the high Number of badges being listed on auction sites as being Nursing or Hospital items,which clearly are not,there is a need for this thread to alert the unwary buyer. I'll kick off with two that I have notified the sellers of;http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNKNOWN-ENAMELED-BADGE-ST-PADARNS-HOSPITAL-/121340342470?pt=UK_Collectables_Badges_Patches_MJ&hash=item1c4072b0c6

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEEDS-NURSING-BADGE-BOXED-/251525574965?pt=UK_Collectables_Badges_Patches_MJ&hash=item3a9017b135

The first is a school, the second a catholic organisation for those accompanying pilgrims to Lourdes.

I appreciate vendors may just be ignorant of the background of some badges however a simple google search will often provide a true identification.It may just be easier to describe an item as Hospital or Nursing in the hope of getting a better price. Rant over.....

Do please add others that you may be aware of.

Magpie

There is a Christ's Hospital mathematical badge, Christ's Hospital is a very old Public School. 

backman

I see a usual offender has listed St Padarns as being a hospital badge once again,on Ebay. It is however a school in Aberystwyth,there has not been a hospital of that name in any of the records.This is easy verifiable by an internet search and reinforces the view that some vendors will try and palm off anything as a Nursing item to get a better price.Having been caught recently by a Masonic item and just missing being caught by another it does make me annoyed!

myk1066

I noticed said badge & wondered/thought it may not be a nursing badge!

wilfb

Hi.

I have noticed several very questionable listings on ebay over the last few weeks - and not only nursing badges - including at least one which is clearly (in my opinion) fraudulent.  I wonder if ebay bothers to check anymore. Or perhaps they are possibly attempting to place the onus on genuine sellers simply because the volume of traffic is making it impossible to police adequately.  One manufacturer/seller of toys is even now placing notices about how to detect fake copies of it's products and is exhorting buyers to report possible fraud to ebay.

The real problem seems to be that you have first to buy something before you would be able to check - a fraudsters paradise. Here today.... or at least until caught, and then ebay or possibly PayPal will refund and perhaps ban the seller.  But the hapless buyer will first have to jump through a few hoops, and I know of at least one who feels it not worth the effort.

Bomb-sites may be gone but the spivs undoubtedly remain.

There are of course innocent sellers unaware of sales errors out of simple ignorance, but they are usually amenable to a direct approach and quite willing to correct issues.

At least here on SoN members are pointing out anomalous sales where they are noticed. It must help, at least in our field...  About the rest? I don't have an answer. Be vigilant....

Will.

myk1066

I have contacted the seller & told him the said badge isn't a nursing badge & also stated he has previously sold badges as nursing badges when clearly they aren't.  I await his reply & will inform you all accordingly.

nursesue

the world of antiques and collecting is a minefield and we can all get caught out sometimes Sellers selling wrong lids or stoppers  for bottles and you only have to watch Antiques road show to know that even experts can get caught out - seems as if tea caddys are being reproduced and sold as antiques At least here we can warn each other of the pitfalls The sellers that bug me most are those who list " unknown badge - rare" How do you know its rare if you don't know what it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAGGGHHHH   >:( ::)

myk1066

Lol Sue, my sentiment too, I'm still awaiting a reply from said seller.

backman

AAArrggh! I am now getting in to stand up arguments with stall holders at antiques fairs about incorrect labelling! When I pointed out to one that his label on a Queen Mary's Needlework Guild Badge,namely QM Nursing Guild ,was incorrect he continued to argue the toss.Despite giving him a detailed account of the work of the Needlework Guild sewing and knitting to provide comforts for the troops,he told with confidence that they also did Nursing as well! This was justified by the fact that a bar to the badge was labelled Surgical division so they must do Nursing.I tried to explain that the surgical division produced  material goods including surgical dressings,bandages and gauze in copious amount to tend the wounds of the troops.I don't think he believed me and probably won't relabel his badge accordingly.

Caveat Emptor-Buyer Beware ( even if buying from a reputable dealer with a nice stock of genuine articles(but not me of course as that would be advertising and I'd have to slap my own wrist ???))

myk1066

I see the St Padarns sold for a low price. I never did get a reply from the seller, I think he knew we were onto him........... :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk